Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting/chewing PAIN :( Help!?

Unhappy Biting/chewing PAIN :( Help!?

2 week old girl won't stop biting/chewing my nipples. Doesnt matter how many times I break the latch and reposition her we still end up with the same problem. It's so painful... She is clearly still hungry but won't latch properly. I'm just frustrated. What else can I do?

Default Re: Biting/chewing PAIN :( Help!?

Have you gotten any hands on help from a lactation consultant? Preferably an IBCLC. They have (seemingly) magic ways of helping you get a correct latch. It sounds like your baby is not opening wide enough and getting enough of the breast in her mouth? Ouch! I urge you to seek out some hands on help! Sometimes a few appointments are required to really get the hang of it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yeah. I thought we had this down pretty well to begin with but things feel like they are going downhill in a hurry this week. I know she's not opening wide enough to get a good latch. I can see that clearly. But it seems beyond me to get her to do it correctly. I don't know who to contact to get the "hands on" help you're talking about...

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks. I'll check that out right now!

Still dont know what to do as far as tonight though. In such pain. Don't know how I'll be able to feed this little one overnight. :/

Aw, I'm sorry mama! Are there any positions where the latch is better? Can you wait till your LO's mouth is open WIDE before pressing your breast into her mouth? Call the LC first thing in the morning!!

You can call me JoMo!

I had (have - we're still working it out) the same problem, and one thing I found that helped a little for us through experimentation was nursing her with me on my back and her stomach-to-stomach with me (I believe it's called the "Australian position"). For some reason, it hurt less even when my nipples were already sore and seemed easier for her to take more of the breast in. Give that a shot and maybe it will help you along until you can see a lactation consultant.