Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek/blessed thistle question

Default Fenugreek/blessed thistle question

I started taking fenugreek and blessed thistle on Wednesday. Thursday my pee started to smell like maple syrup! I understand this is all normal and good - that for the herbs to be working I *want* to smell like that. I did notice an increase in supply over the weekend, but now today the smell is hardly noticeable. Does this mean the herbs aren't working anymore? I'm taking 3 each 3 times a day.

Thanks!

Default Re: Fenugreek/blessed thistle question

Could it be that you are just used to the smell? Do you have a different body odor? Fenugreek gave me more of a strong body odor as well as the maple smell.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Could it be that you are just used to the smell? Do you have a different body odor? Fenugreek gave me more of a strong body odor as well as the maple smell.
    i got used to the smell. Maybe ask your partner if they smell you? because i thought i didn't smell and i did, according to DH. I also took 3 4x a day, but i was only taking fenugreek.

I would say as long as your supply is good, you don't have to worry about constantly smelling like syrup (it is a very good indication of what's in your system though, don't get me wrong)
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Well, I'm not sure that my supply is good at all - that's the problem. I noticed an increase over the weekend, but still lots of grumbling from baby, and today he was quite unhappy at times and didn't seem to be doing a lot of swallowing. He did have wet diapers though, so I guess he is getting something! The last nappy change before bed though - diaper had been on three hours and was dry (we use cloth) when we changed it. He peed though then with the nappy off and it was yellow - it's normally clear.

Though thinking about it maybe the lack of maple syrup smell, which i was just smelling in my urine, is gone because I've been drinking more today, so the smell is diluted? I can still smell it - it's just not so strong. But like suggested, maybe I'm just getting used to the smell!!