Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIRED?! Is it because of breastfeeding?

Talking TIRED?! Is it because of breastfeeding?

During and after breastfeeding, I will suddenly become really relaxed/TIRED and feel the need to take a nap. My baby is almost four weeks old and we've been exclusively breastfeeding with the exception of one pumped bottle per day just to get him used to the bottle. I sleep well...he wakes every two hours at night to eat, but then goes right back to sleep. I eat well, except that I am not allowed much FAT in my diet because I have gallstones.

I am exhausted! Do you think it's from the constant breastfeeding? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance..this board has been my saviour this past week!

Default Re: TIRED?! Is it because of breastfeeding?

Congrats on the new baby!

There are hormones (oxytocin and prolactin) that are released during bf that do contribute to a mother's sense of relaxation, especially after let down. These hormones are also responsible for the intense feeling of needing to be with your baby and are often refered to as "mothering" hormones.

However, my guess would also be that in addition to these hormones, your body is still recovering from childbirth! You are making a huge life adjustment! You are up several times a night with a baby! You are establishing your milk supply! Of course you are exhausted and tired. Please be sure to eat well and sleep when the baby sleeps (or at least lay down and rest). Some mothers finding that bringing the baby in to bed with them allows them to rest more fully while promoting and establishing healthy bf habits. Eat to hunger and choose foods that are healthy (it helps to cook in bulk and have quick healthy snacks such as granola, apples, carrots, etc. on hand). Though routine vitamin-mineral supplements are not necessary for the nuring mother if she eats a healthy, balanced and varied diet, if you are on a restricted or extremely poor diet you may benefit from a multivitamin. Vitamin B aids in changing food to energy, so be sure you are getting plenty!

Allow others to do for you! Idealy, your only responsibilty right now should be mothering. If you have friends and family dropping by, I know a mom who left a to do list on the table (laundry, wipe down bathroom, cook dinner, etc) if they offered help.

In time, you will recover and fell less tired (until toddlerhood! ).
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; October 25th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi! Good job on getting to 4 weeks with the breastfeeding! I do agree it sounds like a combination of the natural hormones that are released along with the fact that waking several times a night can really make you tired! I'm not sure how long the hormonal thing lasts since with DD1 I only managed to BF for 2 weeks but I do know that it's probably normal for it to last for awhile.

Take care and as the other poster said, eat well and be sure and get help for anything you can! Reserve your energy so you can feel more able to do things for yourself and the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by momtobaby1 View Post
    I'm not sure how long the hormonal thing lasts
    The hormones will be released as long as you breastfeed, however as you recover from childbirth and adjust to mothering, you will most likely not feel their effects as strongly because they are not being compounded by your already exhausted body.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

My DD is 7 months and I still feel the relaxation and sometimes sleepy effects of BF. Sometimes I give in and fall asleep However fezzik812 is right, your body has gone through alot... relax and enjoy your precious times with baby.

My DD is over a year old and I still am tired after a BF session. Nap when baby naps is the best advice I ever got and we still use it today!!! Congrats on your new bundle of joy!!!!!!

I loved the sleepiness of nursing when Em was little. I used to put her inhersling on my lap so that if we both conked out in the big chair in the living room I wouldn't worry that she was going to fall out of my arms! I remember waking up after an 8 minute snooze and feelign more refreshed than I did after an entire night of being up and down all night. Take advantage of your cat naps, you need them!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Wink Re: TIRED?! Is it because of breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812 View Post
    Congrats on the new baby!

There are hormones (oxytocin and prolactin) that are released during bf that do contribute to a mother's sense of relaxation, especially after let down. These hormones are also responsible for the intense feeling of needing to be with your baby and are often refered to as "mothering" hormones.

However, my guess would also be that in addition to these hormones, your body is still recovering from childbirth! You are making a huge life adjustment! You are up several times a night with a baby! You are establishing your milk supply! Of course you are exhausted and tired. Please be sure to eat well and sleep when the baby sleeps (or at least lay down and rest). Some mothers finding that bringing the baby in to bed with them allows them to rest more fully while promoting and establishing healthy bf habits. Eat to hunger and choose foods that are healthy (it helps to cook in bulk and have quick healthy snacks such as granola, apples, carrots, etc. on hand). Though routine vitamin-mineral supplements are not necessary for the nuring mother if she eats a healthy, balanced and varied diet, if you are on a restricted or extremely poor diet you may benefit from a multivitamin. Vitamin B aids in changing food to energy, so be sure you are getting plenty!

Allow others to do for you! Idealy, your only responsibilty right now should be mothering. If you have friends and family dropping by, I know a mom who left a to do list on the table (laundry, wipe down bathroom, cook dinner, etc) if they offered help.

In time, you will recover and fell less tired (until toddlerhood! ).
    Thanks so much! My diet is very restricted right now because I have gallstones. I am not allowed much fat or heavy foods. But I am trying to eat better.

OUCH! Gallstones!?! Kudos to you for continuing to BF through tough circumstances!

Many moms find that small, healthy, quick snacks throughout the day are the best way to keep their energy up.

Keep us posted!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader

Wink Re: TIRED?! Is it because of breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812 View Post
    OUCH! Gallstones!?! Kudos to you for continuing to BF through tough circumstances!

Many moms find that small, healthy, quick snacks throughout the day are the best way to keep their energy up.

Keep us posted!
    Thanks to all of you for answering and being supportive! While shopping in Babies R Us I found these cool little nutrition bars made specifically for nursing and pregnancy moms. I've been eating them when I feel low and it's working. The energy is slowly coming back!