Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is she trying to tell me something?

Red face Is she trying to tell me something?

My gorgeous adorable daughter is 24 weeks old. She'll be 6 months on the 24th, just 11 days away. I feed her EBM in a breastfeeding style and I still haven't given up on having some sort of nursing relationship one day (in spite of HORRIBLE Lactation Consultant advice at 4 days old...) Emily used to wake up like clockwork between 1am and 2am and again around 5am to be fed. I keep a cooler bag with 2 bottles of breastmilk (she's not picky about the temperature) by the bed and just reach in and feed her without disturbing either of us too much - just as if we were night nursing. I would then sit up in bed and pump to keep providing the EBM while my prolactin levels are highest. This worked great because we go to bed between 8 and 9pm and I can get a 5-hour chunk of sleep and then a few more before I have to get up at 5.

For about the last week or so, she's been waking MULTIPLE times at night - sometimes as early as 10pm to eat again, even when I just fed her moments before lying down for the night. This is destroying my sleep and I seriously barely make it to work alive (never on-time anymore) because I have a long drive through a barren desert to get to work each morning when it's barely light out.

Is this her way of letting me know she's ready for solids? I wasn't going to even try until 6 months (depressing, really, because I know solids are part of the weaning process and I feel like we never got the chance we needed to breastfeed, so anything associated with weaning seems sad to me...) and I've read that starting them doesn't necessarily help with sleeping through the night anyway!

I know she doesn't have a true metabolic need to eat during the night now, but she used to take each bottle ant these regular intervals and now she wants an ounce, maybe 2 every hour or so all night long... HELP!!

Default Re: Is she trying to tell me something?

She could be having a growth spurt and very well may have a metabolic need to eat at night.

My best advice to you would be to react to the situation however your heart tells you to, and try to stop putting implications on your LOs actions. She could be having a growth spurt, she could be hitting a seperation anxiety stage, or maybe she senses your need to feel needed. You are obviously a very dedicated mother (I would never have the motivation to pump that often in the am lol). So go with your intuition.

ps Try to stop feeling like a failure, your LO is super lucky to have a mom like you.

Thanks, it's the least I could do after dropping the ball on bfing...

I think we just got through with a growth spurt a couple of weeks ago. The odd bit is that she's still drinking the same amount, but she's only drinking an ounce at a time, not 4 and then sleeping for a while like before.

Any BTDT advice on starting solids and encouraging sleep? She had an ear infection and is about halfway though her antibiotics (which I guess could have been another reason for the waking and she's just gotten in the habit) - her dcp advised that I give her a little yogurt to replace her good bacteria - is this a good food when she hasn't had any solids yet? She doesn't seem to have a problem with dairy in my diet...

good job, mama! You're doing great. It's so great to see that you're not focused on getting her off those night feedings, just to see what's up with them. Six months was a major transitional time for my son. He's always gotten up several times a night, but that time was major. and it was exhausting. I think you could be right on with the antibiotics/infection/habit but she'll go back to her normal routine, I would think, after she's feeling 100%.

Six months is a huge time for babies. Teeth. Crawling. Talking nonsense. All that jazz - so it's completely normal (albeit exhausting) to go through this stage.

As for solids - I don't think I would go with yogurt first. I think my son's first food was avocado, then banana -- you want to start out with whole foods before you go into stuff that's mixed just in case of food allergies, etc. Max was on antibiotics twice (and I would urge you to read more about the need for abx with ear infections here, too -- after two rounds, i took him to an osteopath who helped open up the tubes in his ears and he's never had an issue since!) and mixing a probiotic pure strength (sprinkle from the capsule into bottle of milk) would be a great way to do it.

I would also say that you just need to watch signs for when your babe is ready for solids. kellymom.com has some great info on when babies are ready (they can sit up by themselves, have a pincer grasp, seem interested in solids - i'm not giving a comprehensive list here!) but i don't have the direct link.

Good luck. Six months was one of several sleep deprived months i've had with our little one. Enjoy those snuggles as much as you can - mine is only fourteen months and i feel like it's gone all too fast! ETA: and if i recall correctly, if someone had told me to enjoy the sleepless nights eight months ago, i would have wanted to beat them with a stick. So this is coming from a mama who's BTDT, but is not currently there
    Last edited by @llli*jbean1979; March 14th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    I would also say that you just need to watch signs for when your babe is ready for solids. kellymom.com has some great info on when babies are ready (they can sit up by themselves, have a pincer grasp, seem interested in solids - i'm not giving a comprehensive list here!) but i don't have the direct link.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...#developmental

Here's the link jbean was referring to. My LO just turned 6 months, but has been a bit of a sleeping nightmare since about 5 months. She went from sleeping at least 8 hours to sometimes as little as 2 hours, and that's after several attempts to settle her down (ie. waking frequently after short periods of sleep to nurse again). Although we are currently experimenting with banana, my DD is still waking frequently, so don't be fooled by the whole "solids help them sleep" argument. I agree with the PPs, in that i think this is just such a time of change for our LOs, and they just can't seem to settle themselves like they could before. Deep breath....this too shall pass.

However, if your LO is showing those signs in the link above, maybe it's time to start solids. Trust your own instinct and good luck.
    Married my best friend 07/19/2008
    Proud mama to Harper Anne born 09/10/2010
    and every moment of motherhood

Thank you all so much for your responses!

I think I'll stay away from the yogurt for now - I wasn't able to find a natural product I was comfortable with giving her anyway. The well-intentioned dcp was most concerned with thrush or a yeast infection. I'm kind of in the closet about being a EP-er, so they don't necessarily know that we spend a matter of seconds a day at the breast rather than all evening nursing.

It makes perfect sense about all the stuff going on in her little mind keeping her up - she doesn't sit up on her own very well or crawl yet, but she's quite a roller - she makes her way around on the floor like that and I wonder if she won't skip crawling for the most part. She does have some curiosity when I'm eating, but she grabs at everything in my hands when I'm wearing her around, so I don't know if it's the food or not...

On a nice note, she drank about 6 ounces before bed last night and let me sleep until 2. After that was a teensy bit rough, but definitely an improvement. I'm sure things will be unpredictable for a while yet...

Thanks again!

I think thrush/yeast is a valid concern when on antibiotics. And probiotics at 6 months (or any age at all!) is a really good idea, just not in the form of yogurt. My DS gets probiotics even when he's not on abx!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I picked up some HappyBaby organic brown rice cereal the last time I was at Target just in case. It's fortified with probiotics and DHA. I know rice cereal is getting a bad rap by a lot of folks, but I would love her to develop a taste for whole grains as early as possible and I'm not sure how much of my 500mg of DHA supplement actually makes it into her milk, so I thought this would be a good thing to add in once we get through a few simple pureed fruits.

Is there a supplement that I should get instead/as well?

Unfortunately solids hasn't really helped my daughter (9 mo) sleep through the night. She is really excited about food & drinks the same amount of milk while we're apart. I guess these LO just need their mommy regardless of age. My LO wakes up 2X, sometimes 3X every night. I am hoping it will get better with time because the lack of sleep is tough. We cannot cosleep because we tried it & she either woke up even more or wanted to play in the middle of the night w/ us.

Anyhow, as far as solids, I would advise wholesome foods like avocado, chicken broth and pureed chicken, sweet potato. I would personally stay away from rice cereal. It's very difficult to digest & the iron is not absorbed easily. We just introduced buckwheat and millet & so far we haven't had any problems.