Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skip a day?

Default Skip a day?

So my LO has been sick for 2 full weeks now and this is my 6 day battling the cold. My husband returns from work tomorrow around noon. (I'm not worried about her cold because we have seen the Dr multiple times already)
    I'm wondering if its ok to skip solids for a day or two while she gets over her cough, or if this will completely mess up her digestive track? What has more experienced moms done in the past? I just really don't have the energy to make the meals, and I have no appietite my self.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: Skip a day?

how old is your toddler?

Dry cereal to snack on and some fruit is easy to fix.

Oh god don't call her a toddler yet!!!! lol

Shes seven and a half months, but we introduced solids at five months. She regularly eats three "meals" a day. I'm nervous about feeding her because she has a cough and my body is so tired I might have a heart attack if I have to do first aid on her. lol
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma

Oh, at just 7 months you can absolutely skip a day. At this point solids should be about experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They shouldn't make up more than a token amount of your baby's nutritional intake. Just make sure you nurse as much as your child wants! That can be hard when you're feeling sick.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its totally fine to skip a day at that age. If she is sick, she probably wont have too much intrest in solids either. Try and nurse extra to keep her hydrated.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Our girls are almost 2 weeks apart. I skip days all the time. If she isn't feeling well, I'd much rather she nursed more.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Absolutely ok to skip doing solids, especially when LO (and mama) are sick!

There are times when my 18 mo old is sick and doesn't want to eat solids, but just nurses nurse nurses. I'm delighted because breastmilk is perfect nutrition and easily digested so easy on a sick tummy.

I just need to remember to drink more water so *I* can keep up!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I skipped a couple of days recently when my LO (9 mo) was sick. It was no problem. Actually I love that I can nurse her & not worry about solids when she is sick. It's comforting and soothing!!

LO seems fine so far with only nursing. Its actually super relaxing and I'm having a good day, other then the pile of tissues next to me.