Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand Expression extra stimulation

Default Hand Expression extra stimulation

So I have been doing all the right things including pumping every two hours etc. But the lo still will not latch unless its with a sheild. So I'm wondering if this ok can I still get stimulation from this because he is still geting milk and skin to ski? As for pumping I have had no increase in a week.
    The other day I started hand expressing just for about five minutes on each side and I am squirting out milk (should be getting an ounce or so)!
    So basically can I hand express to get to the point where I can start getting results from pumping? Is it still good stimulation? What about putting heat on my breasts for extra stimulation? And is using the sheild going to make me produce more milk?
    I got a sling and I'm just going topless with my lo attched to me all day and taking baths with him because he just screams at the breast. The reglan just had horrible side effects and I just want him back to the boob!
    Thanks lovely ladies!

Default Re: Hand Expression extra stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*westinsmommy34 View Post
    So I have been doing all the right things including pumping every two hours etc. But the lo still will not latch unless its with a sheild. So I'm wondering if this ok can I still get stimulation from this because he is still geting milk and skin to ski? As for pumping I have had no increase in a week.
    The other day I started hand expressing just for about five minutes on each side and I am squirting out milk (should be getting an ounce or so)!
    So basically can I hand express to get to the point where I can start getting results from pumping? Is it still good stimulation?
    hand expression can be more effective than using a pump for many women. it is good stimulation because your are touching the entire breast and can also apply some gentle touch to the areola and nipple- all good for the hormonal stimulation needed for lactation. have you tried hand compression while pumping? this used to help me to get a good 1oz more out of each pumping session.

What about putting heat on my breasts for extra stimulation?
    yep, warmth and breast massage just before nursing or pumping is good.

And is using the sheild going to make me produce more milk?
    if the shield enables your LO to achieve a deep, effective latch, then yes that will help to increase your supply. the shield itself is not what helps you to make more milk, but rather having your LO nurse efficiently at the breast does.
    I got a sling and I'm just going topless with my lo attched to me all day and taking baths with him because he just screams at the breast. The reglan just had horrible side effects and I just want him back to the boob!
    Thanks lovely ladies!
    i think you are on the right track! i'd also suggest just holding your LO in the cradle position near your breast while you are clothed to get him more comfortable just being near the breast in that position if he is being truly resistant. the sling will really help you with this.

keep it up mama! it sounds like you are working very hard!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb