Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old refusing solids

Default 9 month old refusing solids

Hi,

I feel like I've asked a lot of questions about solids, but I really feel like I'm doing something wrong. DS is a great nurser, so I'm not worried about his nutrition. He nurses at least 5 times a day, and he consistently wets diapers and stools once a day.

Anyway, he's never been great with solids. He just doesn't eat very much. For example, today for breakfast he had 2 tablespoons of cereal and 1 tablespoon of applesauce. For lunch, he only ate 2 tablespoons of cereal and completely refused carrots, a veggie he's enjoyed in the past. This is pretty typical. For dinner, he'll usually eat only about 2 tablespoons of something--today it will probably be fruit. It also takes forever to get him to eat this meager amount--almost 1/2 hour.

I'm not sure what to do. I'm getting frustrated and really don't want to give him solids anymore--the boob is so much easier! I guess I'm looking for advice on how I can help increase his intake. I just feel like he should be eating more by now.

I'm not sure if my schedule might be the problem. Right now, I pretty much nurse him at about 6 am, nurse before morning and afternoon naps, nurse in the evening, and again before bed. Sometimes he wakes up at least once during the night to nurse, too. Solid meals are eaten in between nursing sessions. We'll have breakfast around 8, lunch around 12, and dinner at about 5:30.

Any help/advice on what to try would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by @llli*joey4mom; March 12th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: 9 month old refusing solids

I certainly am not an expert, but it seems like he is doing very well to me. At this age, food serves more as a learning experience than for actual nutrition. Just keep giving him new things to try and offer him finger foods. As he learns more and gets older his eating will improve. I know it is frustrating to watch your LO "waste" a meal by simply smearing the food around and not actually eat anything, but this is a perfectly normal learning stage.
    Last edited by @llli*wdsmom; March 12th, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: typo

At 9 mo old I'd move to trying more finger foods.

Lots of ideas here:
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyfingerfood.htm

Perhaps if you take the approach of OFFERING foods for baby to explore and not worrying so much about how much he's eating it would be more fun for both of you.

Don't worry about how much he's "supposed" to be eating. Many babies aren't that interested in solids until closer to a year. Looking at charts with how much baby is "supposed" to be eating at various ages will just make you get stressed out.

I'm not an expert, but IMO giving baby exposure to a variety of food is the most important part of starting solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Don't worry about how much he's "supposed" to be eating. Many babies aren't that interested in solids until closer to a year. Looking at charts with how much baby is "supposed" to be eating at various ages will just make you get stressed out.
    Some kids don't express much interest in solids until they are well into their second year of life. It's fine. Until 1, solids are just for fun! They're not really that important for nutrition. (So says my pediatrician.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommies! I do think I read too much and need to stop worrying about what he's "supposed" to do.

In regards to finger foods....this is something I considered since he has a pretty good pincher grasp and LOVES to feed himself Puffs. However, any time I've put other food in front of him (slices of watermelon, smashed blueberries, banana or avocado chunk), he won't attempt to eat it. If I give him a piece that's a little chunkier, he doesn't seem to chew it--the piece just sits on his tongue. This seems to me like he might not be ready? Also, how do I get him to try to eat these other items? I tried modeling.....I just ate a lot of blueberries while he watched.

He'll let you know when he's serious about it. Right now he's exploring. Just remember, ounce for ounce no solid food is packed with more calories or nutrients than your wonderful milk.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joey4mom View Post
    = If I give him a piece that's a little chunkier, he doesn't seem to chew it--the piece just sits on his tongue. This seems to me like he might not be ready? Also, how do I get him to try to eat these other items? I tried modeling.....I just ate a lot of blueberries while he watched.
    Actually, this sounds like a very good baby-led solids experience! You offered some healthy solids, your LO put them into his own mouth, and tasted them... Chewing and swallowing them is the next step. He'll get there eventually.

I know it's hard to get yourself out of the mindset that it's your job to get your baby to eat- but that's really not your job. All you need to do is put healthy solids in front of the baby and let him develop his skills at his own pace.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with the previous suggestions and advice.

just wanted to offer some reassurance and say that my DS didn't show a whole lot of interest in solids until he was around 10 months and probably did not eat more regular "meals" until he was a year old. i was concerned too until the ladies here told me to chill
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!