Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump after each feeding?

Default pump after each feeding?

My 2 week old only feeds from one breast each feeding and he's not emptying the breast. Do I need to pump the breast he's feeding off of after he's done as well as the breast he's not feeding from? I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly so my supply doesn't decrease.

Let me know your thoughts....

Default Re: pump after each feeding?

If you have a good milk supply established there should be no reason to pump, unless you want to have extra milk. Pumping will cause a demand for milk and your body will up its supply. So if you are pumping to get rid of extra milk you can actually make your situation worse. Your baby's suckling should be all you need to ensure enough milk (unless there are complications)

I haven't had any problems with my supply so far. I went to see a lactation consultant last week because my son is having trouble latching. I'm currently using a nipple shield which seems to be working great. Today I used the shield to get him started and once my milk let down he latched on with no problem so hopefully that's a good sign. Anyway, the lactation consultant told me to pump if he doesn't empty the breast (which will be hard to do if we're out and about) and I just assumed the other breast needed to be pumped as well since he wasn't feeding from it.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Pumping is not going to hurt your supply. The LC is probably worried that since you are using a nipple shield your LO won't be getting as much milk.

All I can say about that is to trust your body. My health care providers almost gave me a milk complex in my early days BFing. I used a shield as well and was pressured to get rid of it. At 3 months my baby girl decided she didn't want to wait for the shield and self latched with out it. We've been shield free since.

My main point is to relax. Pump when you can, but dont stress if you can't. Stress IS something that can mess up your milk supply.

2 weeks is still pretty young was baby born early?
    alot of the time they don't nurse well untill after their due date.
    Just keep at it nurse as many times in 24 hours as baby is willing
    count diapars, thats the way to know if they are getting the milk they need to grow.
    and try not to stress about it...