Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My son refuses my breasts...help!

Default Re: My son refuses my breasts...help!

I'm going through the same thing and it is heartbreaking! My DD is 3.5 months old and I just went back to work this Monday. DH is home with her for a couple of months until she goes to daycare, he's taking his paternity leave after me. I was EBF with the occasional bottle here and there until last week. We wanted to make sure she'd take the bottle with frozen milk before I went back to work, so we started to intoducing it to her again. When I came home from work on Monday, she refused to take the breast! She started to get fussy the week before, and now I really know why. She's fine with dream feeding, but it seems that the bottle is just easier for her and she gets what she wants much more quickly than with the breast. I'm using the Dr. Brown Natural Flow bottles with the wide neck. I'm curious to know if other bottles may be better for babies that prefer bottle over the breast. Also, I tend to only pump out 1.75oz from the right and .5-1 from the left. Does anyone know what normal output should be?

I'm so sorry - I know just how you feel! I've been EPing since my daughter was 2 days old, not by choice but by some HORRIBLE LC advice at 4 days old. I have a good supply, but now I fear I've completely missed the window to breastfeed her because she's completely dissinterested in latching on...Now that I see how simple it is to put the feeding tube of a syringe (you can ask your hospital LC for a 60ml/2 ounce one!) or supplementer under a nipple shield to help her latch on, I'm even more upset at how I was treated by the other LC...

I used to use Dr. Brown's bottles because she was quite gassy for a bit there, but now I use Tommee Tippee bottles. I'm not sure they are helping, she doesn't seem any more interested since switching.

Congratulations on getting him to latch for a few minutes - it's certainly a start! Hopefully this is just a bit of a nursing strike and not a real refusal.

I, too am really interested in any ideas (no matter how wacky!) for enticing a baby to the breast.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    Now that I see how simple it is to put the feeding tube of a syringe (you can ask your hospital LC for a 60ml/2 ounce one!) or supplementer under a nipple shield to help her latch on, I'm even more upset at how I was treated by the other LC...

I, too am really interested in any ideas (no matter how wacky!) for enticing a baby to the breast.

@llli*marley-n-emily -- quick question, was it super easy to use the supplementer? My lactation consultant offered to get one for me, but she wanted me to read about them first online. I took one look at the gadget and thought "OMG, this looks like such a big hassle." Frankly, I'm so frustrated as it is, I didn't want one more gadget to push me over the edge. But if you have had success with it . . . I may have to rethink my stance.

Well, at 5 1/2 months, Emily is quite a Miss Smartypants, so I have to really hide the tube or she'll grab at it (I run it under as much of my nursing bra as I can, kind of like trying to hide a cord under a baseboard :P). I use a Lact-Aid one because I can squeeze to to really get milk flowing. If your LC is willing to give you a Medela one, I would take it! They are normally around $50 (the Lact-Aid is $60 and you have to buy replacement bags) but the bottle isn't squeezable. This shouldn't be a problem if you're getting some latching and just need to boost the output. I find the nipple shield a nice way to keep the tube at my nipple, but if you'd rather not use one, you might need to use a bit of medical tape to keep it there. It's certainly worth a try!

Thank you for the info, marley-n-emily.

I don't think it was a medela one that she was offering, but I may look into it again. I was able to get my LO to nurse for 15 minutes at the last feeding; the nursing strike may be coming to an end . . . .

Here's to hoping. . . .

So my weekend didn't turn out quite like I hoped It did look good at first. Saturday morning I brought my son into bed with me (hubby went in by our older son!) and just when he was stirring I tried the side-lying and he actually nursed for about 15 minutes!! Then I think he actually woke up more and realized what was happening and stopped But that's about all I got out of him all weekend...besides some good snuggle time! He does have a nasty little cold right now, coughing, sneezing, running nose, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm gonna take him to the dr. tomorrow just to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection or anything. I'm sure he just caught a cold either from daycare or his brother who had it last week. I was reading a different post about Cranio Sacral Therapy, never heard of it before, but was wondering if this was something that would help us. I don't want to put him through anything that I shouldn't though. I just so miss breastfeeding, it's starting to depress me (and I don't want to go back to that place) and pumping all the time is really stressing me out I'm just trying to enjoy my little cutie as much as possible since we can't have that special bonding time. Another odd thing is, when he gets a bottle he really turns his head like he's nursing, but he won't nurse...figure that one out!

@llli*boyx2 --- Oh, I'm so sorry! I completely understand how you feel right now. After my last post, my LO started to get better at nursing. Yay! Once, I got her to nurse for 30 minutes. She was drowsy at the time. But in the last day or two, she hasn't wanted to nurse very much and I know she's hungry. She just turns away. I'm so frustrated.

You must be feeling completely stressed out since your LO also has a cold. But I did read somewhere that when some babies are ill, they don't like to nurse as much.

I hope your LO gets better soon and gets back to nursing!

We had a nursing strike that lasted about 5 months. It was very difficult! My dd would nurse if she was asleep, though, so I could get her to nurse in the middle of the night or during naps. Otherwise, I had to pump at least every 3 hrs to keep my supply up.

I have no idea what made her decide it was OK to nurse again, just one day she decided she would and then nursed 3 times on her own initiation that month. Then the next month she only refused a few times. So I don't know what was going on in her head but it just took lots and lots of patience.

Try not to take it as a personal rejection but I know it is very difficult to do.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    We had a nursing strike that lasted about 5 months. It was very difficult! .
    You must have the patience of a saint! That's great though how you persevered. I'd like to keep nursing as much as I can before I go back to work.

Try not to take it as a personal rejection but I know it is very difficult to do.
    Yeah, it's really hard.

Well he does have an ear infection...poor little thing. We went back to the LC today just to show her how he eats. He did latch on and nurse for about 5 mins or so in her office, but then started to bite/chew on me. I gave him the bottle and he turned his head all the way to the right, even if feeding him with my left hand. She suggested the possibility of him having torticollis, but I'm not convinced of that since the only time he does this is when he's eating. But it's worth looking into. We'll have him checked by his ped to make sure. Don't want to take him to chiropractor or anything if not necessary. If he does have it, could be a reason why he is uncomfortable nursing, so hopefully if we fix the torticollis, he will ease back into nursing! Taking my sweet little baby to the chiro scares me though!