Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night weaning one-year-old

Default Night weaning one-year-old

Can anyone offer advice on the best way to night wean my 12-month-old? I'm not ready to wean her completely, but I am ready for a decent nights sleep. She still wakes up several times a night to nurse. And I've been ok with that (she has refused the bottle since she was born and I work two days a week out of the house, so she just doesn't get BM when I am gone...therefore, I felt like it was impt for her to get the extra calories/nutrition overnight). But it's time for her to start eating more solid food and for her to give mommy a break at night. But if somone else tries to soothe her or I refuse to nurse her, it's terrible. She cries and screams, etc. She has quite a temper! I'll try anything....help!

Default Re: Night weaning one-year-old

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

look up night weaning on that link....

Have you tried babywearing to get her back to sleep? If you can get her used to being worn in a sling or baby-carrier when its time to go back to sleep then your husband can take his turn.
    Another thing I have read is to increase the number of feedings during the day. Try to cluster feed in the morning and right before bed.

Night weaning led to good sleep with DD1, but not DD2. Are you co-sleeping?

This is a great article on working toward finding sleep:

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Thanks for the advice all. I would totally try the "wearing" but I don't see her going for it.....she's getting too old to want to be confined. That article was awesome! I am definitely going to try it. Thanks again. These forums are the best! XOXO

I'm about to do this with my 16 month old too. Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Dr. Jay Gordon has a suggestion on how to wean your older baby at night. I've never tried it, but I have been thinking about it. My daughter is almost 2.5 and she has a temper beyond belief and goes hysterical if she can't have the boobie. I'm not sure I'm ready for that fight though. Anyway here's the link, and good luck:
    http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

oops...i just saw someone already had posted the same thing...sorry. Good luck anyway!
    Last edited by @llli*vfunestig; March 15th, 2011 at 02:28 AM.

my LO will be 18 months on the 22nd and I am going to try to night wean her during my dd's spring break at the end of this month. If it goes badly I will wait and try again this summer. I too am tired and it's hard for my hubby to understand what 17+ months without a good nights sleep feels like...so I am on a mission to save myself(and show the rest of them how it feels to be woke up through the night lol) I'm sure she will deffinately protest for the first few nights
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

i am just so glad to hear other mummies are tired too! I mean, it's not only me then??!! I am going to read this article too. At the mo, we are still co-sleeping and night nursing at 16mths.

I don't want to give it up necessarily, but i DO want rest. feel in a quandry...so lovely to chat with like minds

I feel like I've only just begun since LO is just 4 and 1/2 months...I completely get wanting a good night of sleep!!