Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reynaud's with New Newborn if Tandeming?

Default Reynaud's with New Newborn if Tandeming?

I'm not sure where to post this, as it's not a question about nursing my toddler, but more what to expect when my new LO arrives.

I am currently nursing my about-to-be 2 year old. The first several months of nursing him as a newborn were incredibly painful. After ruling out everything else that could be causing it (and stumbling upon a description of Reynaud's Syndrome), I believe that is what was causing my pain. I had all the typical symptoms of it, and actually knew that I had Reynaud's Syndrome when I was younger (my toes and fingers were purple/blue anytime it was slightly chilly), but that was not a painful condition--I had no idea there was a breast component to it! Finally around 5 months of nursing, the excruciating pain let up, and my nursing "comfort" has been fine since then except for hormonal shifts (actual temperature shifts in the weather have never seemed to be an issue for me).

Ok, so I started wondering.......what triggers the Reynaud's? Am I going to suffer with it again with the new baby? Or if DS & I make it through the pregnancy still nursing, will that somehow protect me from having it again? If continuous breastfeeding would offer me protection from the Reynaud's, it would be a HUGE incentive to put up with the sore pregnancy nips right now....

Default Re: Reynaud's with New Newborn if Tandeming?

how long till the baby comes?

Hi mama! :hi Funny, I have a toddler, am pg, and have Raynaud's. If #1 doesn't wean as my supply dwindles, I hope to tandem nurse. Isn't LLL a great place?

Raynaud's is triggered by cold extremes, so staying warm is #1. It's a rheumatological disorder. Unfortuantely it's not known to be linked to continued nursing. That's not saying it isn't, because there isn't a lot of research. You're probably okay because you're warm, due to pregnancy and probably the weather (depends on your location).

Andrea has a good point, when is the baby due? As in, what season will it be for you? My #2 is due in August, with lots of hot weather to follow, so I'm not terribly concerned about the newborn days. #1 in the dead of winter was rough though.

Since you've been nursing over a year, how was it when you nursed through cold weather? This winter was easier for me when I nursed through cold weather. I attributed it to realizing I needed to stay warm, DD having a deeper latch because her mouth is physically bigger (a small mouth and shallow latch can trigger mechanical vasospasms/blood flow blocks, just as painful as Raynaud's which is triggered by another mechanism), being warm from pregnancy, and not nursing around the clock. I expect this winter to drink lots of hot herbal infusion while nursing to stay warm, cross my fingers and hope for the best

In my signature there's a medical paper with treatment for Raynaud's, which is a drug treatment. I'm not taking it because I'm pg. But another mother here who was active on the boards earlier this year took the medicine after the birth and while nursing, she said it worked great. Search the boards and you might find her posts (and mine--I always look for Raynaud's posts, my pet topic!) I'm concerned about milk transfer so I don't want to take the risk.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Thanks for the replies, ladies.

I am due in late Sept. However, my first DS was born in April, so the time when I was having the terrible pain, it was not cold in my part of the country (and mostly very hot!).

Maybe I was just suffering from the small mouth-caused vasospasms? I didn't realize that could happen without it being Reynaud's. DS was very tiny, and some people did suggest that maybe his mouth was just "too small," though his latch was declared to be fine by several people.

Maybe that's more likely since the cold has never really seemed to affect the pain (although when I am cold and naked--like while getting in the shower--i sometimes notice my nips are blanched completely white, but they aren't the toe-curling kind of painful that they were during the first 5 months of nursing).

I didn't realize there was any kind of treatment for Reynaud's--how great to know if that's what my problem is!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bxlgirl View Post
    Since you've been nursing over a year, how was it when you nursed through cold weather? This winter was easier for me when I nursed through cold weather. I attributed it to realizing I needed to stay warm, DD having a deeper latch because her mouth is physically bigger (a small mouth and shallow latch can trigger mechanical vasospasms/blood flow blocks, just as painful as Raynaud's which is triggered by another mechanism), being warm from pregnancy, and not nursing around the clock. I expect this winter to drink lots of hot herbal infusion while nursing to stay warm, cross my fingers and hope for the best
    Last edited by @llli*konayossie; March 22nd, 2011 at 04:18 PM.