Hi Guys -
So I've been down the pumping road before. I have a 4 year old that I successfully pumped (while at work) for 1.5years and breastfed (when home) until she was 3. I've gone thru supply issues and demand changes and was able to come out of it... not this time.
I have a 5 month old who I nurse when I'm at home and I've taken all the steps to keep my milk supply up but I'm struggling. I am super fustrated and after 2 months of trying my best, I'm ready to bring on the formula and ease my stress levels.
Here's what I've done
- warm compresses
- brought in the senses (photos, smelling her clothes etc)
- Family bed - I nurse from the moment I get home until I leave to work
- Threw pumping "schedules" out the door and pump randomly but still about every 1.5 hours. Sometimes for 5 mins after letdown and sometimes for another 10 mins past letdown and sometimes waiting for two letdowns
- Ferugreek - Tablets taken
- I drink plenty
- Sleep ... sorta check
- I pump with a hospital grade pump while at work
I'm exhausted. At this time, last baby, I had a three day supply of extra milk for her so I was able to have a couple hours of alone time at the library. This time it's not the case. I barely make enough for her and last week we had to give her a little formula. My heart sank as I heard she took formula
So - I pump 2oz at 530am / 8oz thruout the day until 330pm / Nursing all the time at home....
She's 5 months old and is about 16 pounds (9 pounds at birth)
I'm mentally exhausted... and I feel like such a failure. I also feel that if I had just a couple hours to myself ... I could refresh but I have no milk to give her