Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: afraid to pump between feeds and reduce supply available to baby

Default afraid to pump between feeds and reduce supply available to baby

I have been attempting to expess milk so my partner can share in the enjoyment of feeding our baby, and so I can have a reserve to allow me to go out without my baby from time to time. I've really been struggling to find gaps between feeds in the morning, and am afraid of my baby not finding enough available when he has his next feed. He is 10 wks but still often feeds at 2 hour intervals, spending up to a hour if he dozes as he feeds. Any tips on timing, methods of increasing supply, finding time to pump? I'm determined to succeed but making limited progress, generally only getting an ounce at a time, partially because I hesitate to pump any more than that.

Default Re: afraid to pump between feeds and reduce supply available to baby

The breasts are never truly empty. Of your LO nurses after a point session there will still be milk fir them. It will be more of the yummy creamy fatty hindmilk, but definatly there will always be mill for him. Hell if anything pumping usually INCREASES your supply, not steals it from the baby
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I had this same fear. Pump right after your LO finishes nursing (even hand your LO to your partner after nursing for burps etc) and pump right away. Thats how I started to do it.

PP is right, breats are always making milk so there will alway be something for you LO.

An ounce after feeding LO is great! Sometimes I only gert 2 ounces after being away from my LO for hours.

Keep up the good work!
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

thanks to both for encouragement, I'll try to put aside that worry and now just need to find a time in the morning when I can settle and do it!

Mama, you won't be reducing supply to your baby... by pumping in between feedings, you are sending a signal to your body to INCREASE production, not decrease it. If you do want to pump to build up a stash, the best time to do it is in the morning, right after your baby's first morning feed. Your supply is at it's highest in the morning. I used to pump once per day for a few weeks before I went back to work... and I always did it right around 8am-ish, right after my son's first morning feed around that time.

And here's the thing... even if you JUST get done pumping, if your baby suddenly signals that he's hungry, just put him to your breast anyway! Your breasts are never truly empty, they are always producing milk... and a pump is not that great at removing milk anyway, so there is sure to be plenty of milk left in your breasts, even if you just got done pumping.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*buff24 View Post
    Mama, you won't be reducing supply to your baby... by pumping in between feedings, you are sending a signal to your body to INCREASE production, not decrease it. If you do want to pump to build up a stash, the best time to do it is in the morning, right after your baby's first morning feed. Your supply is at it's highest in the morning. I used to pump once per day for a few weeks before I went back to work... and I always did it right around 8am-ish, right after my son's first morning feed around that time.

And here's the thing... even if you JUST get done pumping, if your baby suddenly signals that he's hungry, just put him to your breast anyway! Your breasts are never truly empty, they are always producing milk... and a pump is not that great at removing milk anyway, so there is sure to be plenty of milk left in your breasts, even if you just got done pumping.

absolutely true. my dd has a knack for waking up as soon as i've decided to pump because i'm full...she's still getting plenty of milk (and continue to increase my supply by doing so for the benefit of the baby i donate to)
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

thanks! i did some daily pumping after being encouraged by responses to my post and not only did my supply increase, my baby seems to have enjoyed the bit of extra on offer as a result!