Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Straining while Deficating

Question Straining while Deficating

I am concerned because my six week old daughter seems to strain and become uncomfortable when she is pooping. She grunts, squirms, and her face turns red.

During the last few days she has had quite a bit of gas. I am eliminating milk and chocolate from my diet to see if that helps.

Today's straining seems to be unrelated to gas which is why I have become concerned.

I don't want her to be so uncomfortable!

Default Re: Straining while Deficating

My baby does this too. I am a bit worried myself, but I have heard that it is normal for them to strain when they poop.

NAK My son also does the same. I hold him semi upright and feed him and he soon poops. But every baby is different. Just try what works for your daughter to eliminate her discomfort. And supposedly this-too- gets better over time
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

At that age my son did not enjoy his bowel movements or his gas. He strained, grunted, complained, etc. Now he toots along happily and doesn't even bat an eye. He'll actually scoot over to me when he has a squishy diaper so I know he needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rose View Post
    I am concerned because my six week old daughter seems to strain and become uncomfortable when she is pooping. She grunts, squirms, and her face turns red.

During the last few days she has had quite a bit of gas. I am eliminating milk and chocolate from my diet to see if that helps.

Today's straining seems to be unrelated to gas which is why I have become concerned.

I don't want her to be so uncomfortable!
    Madeline did this, she would curl up, squirm and turn red and then all the suden "squishy" Is the poop still soft/runny with the "popcorn" chunks in it?