Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Birth control??

Default Birth control??

I am breastfeeding my baby girl and I have my 6week checkup this week. I am wondering what is the best option for birth control while breastfeeding? I have heard that many types of the pill will affect your supply and I am not sure which ones will and which ones wont. I plan on discussing with my dr but would love some advice from women who have experienced it firsthand. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Birth control??

The best form of birth control is the one that works best for you. There's no one right answer for every woman.

Any form of hormonal contraception (pill, patch, ring, inplantable, injectable, Mirena IUD) has the potential to negatively impact your supply. Certain forms are more likely to have negative impacts than others. The regular estrogen-progesterone combination pill is most likely to have a negative impact. But even the progesterone-only mini-pill, which is often advertised as being totally safe for breastfeeding, has the potential to impact supply. You don't know if or how hormonal contraception will impact you unless you try it out. Therefore, if you choose to use hormonal contraception, it's important to choose something that is easily and rapidly reversible, just in case it has bad effects on supply. So you want to avoid implantable and injectable contraceptives.

I suggest looking into barrier methods (condoms, diaphragm, cervical cap, sponge) and also the ParaGard IUD, which is non-hormonal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My doctor assures me that the "mini-pill" (progesterone only) will not decrease my milk supply, and that you don't have to be that diligent about when you take it. I think he just wants the business, b/c I've heard of women getting preg who took it at the same time on the nose, never missing a day. I'm not that good about taking meds, and I'm concerned about my supply, so I haven't filled the scrip yet.

The only way to make sure you don't affect your supply is to use non-hormonal methods.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My family is so fertile we are opting for abstinence until DH's scheduled vasectomy. We don't want anymore. Once or twice we used condoms but I was too freaked to get pregnant so it was no fun. I think you have some protection if you breastfeed every 4 hours and 6 overnight if you haven't already gotten your period but I am so not willing to risk that.

My OB gave me a prescription for birth control pills but he didn't really care about breastfeeding. He said I would be fine but I came home and Googled it and found out there was a risk so I don't really rely on that guy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennilr View Post
    I am breastfeeding my baby girl and I have my 6week checkup this week. I am wondering what is the best option for birth control while breastfeeding? I have heard that many types of the pill will affect your supply and I am not sure which ones will and which ones wont. I plan on discussing with my dr but would love some advice from women who have experienced it firsthand. Thanks in advance!
    My DH and I are going to use condoms...
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

we've used condoms here for 15 years and never had any issuse with them.
    no rushing into figureing something out if your baby is that young.
    IF the doctor doesn't give you all the info you need to feal comfortable about choosing its ok to do some reading and call them back. 6 weeks is young.

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbfertility.html