Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Products Help

Default Re: Breastfeeding Products Help

I had the Arm's reach for DS2 and he wouldn't sleep in it. He was a very fussy particular baby and would only sleep right next to me. I hadn't planned on having him right next to me, but it was the only way I could keep from losing my mind. It actually would have been awesome for DS1 though, since he slept in a pack and play for 3 months, it would have been nice having him closer since I tended to wake up and make sure he was still breathing a lot.

I like the Bravado tanks. I am not sure if they work well for bigger chested women since I am only a B-C even when I'm nursing.

As far as bottles, it really depends. Some babies aren't particular but DS2 would only take the drop ins with the latex nipple.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    Don't invest too much on products in the beginning.

I had an Arm's Reach cosleeper, but like Beth's DS2, my LO refused to sleep in it! Yes, he refused to sleep in a cosleeper, like a foot away from me! Nothing but ON TOP OF ME would do! He didn't sleep in the crib much either (which thankfully we got as a hand-me-down), even now it's only part time.

I preferred the My Brest Friend over the Boppy, but again, that's personal preference, some people like the Boppy better?

If there's anyway to borrow some of these items or get them used from a friend, that can be a good way to see whether it will work for you.

We loved our swing - besides on top of me, that was the only place Joe would sleep as a newborn.

Being large of chest, I used nursing tanks, but mostly just around the house. I didn't find any that were really supportive, but since I was also prone to clogged ducts, it was good to avoid anything too restrictive, except for special occasions. I have one of every brand, and they each served different purposes.

I was an INSANE leaker, and I used disposable pads as well as the Lily Padz (these can cause issues with supply at first, and aren't rec'd until a few weeks in at least?). Avoid the type with any plastic backing, those will increase the risk of thrush, but you can find heavy-duty Lansinoh ones that don't have any plastic, and wick the moisture away from your nipples a bit. Again, might not be necessary for you.

When it came down to it, I was glad I had lanolin ointment, a nursing tank big enough for breasts that had increased 2 cup sizes overnight, and some hydrogel packs (for nipple soreness, I would recommend these if you are fair skinned, especially a redhead like me). Other than that, you don't need much right away.

Joe was never fussy about bottles, so we just gave him cheap Evenflo glass bottles with a low-flow nipple.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I normally wouldn't worry too much about purchasing products beforehand but I live in a tourist town in Mexico and there is not a lot to be found here. What I can find is marked up to double the price as in the states. I am going back to the U.S. in a couple of weeks for my baby shower and a shopping trip and I want to load up on all the necessities. Luckily, there will be people visiting and we plan to make a trip to the US with baby so we can always get product afterwards but not as freely.

I have downloaded lots of books on pregnancy, parenting, and breastfeeding onto my Kindle and am reading an average of one book every two days. I am waiting for my "The Baby Book" and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" books because I want them in print to be able to use as reference after reading.

There is also not a LLL branch in my town and the hospital I am birthing at is frightfully c-section and supplement happy. As @expat-mom says, I feel that educating myself and preparing my nest to make me comfortable are the best chance I have.

do you already have a crib????

you can side car like it shows on this link

http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

Wow, brilliant. We do already have our crib but I intend to keep in in the nursery for naps. I am open minded to the idea of cosleeping but would like to have him in his own room, which is directly in front of ours, by three to four months. I have read that using his room as a nap area is a good way to get him familiar with it. Also, I feel that having a cosleeper might give him a little more independence without any feelings of abandonment for the first few months. Obviously each baby is different and the plan might need to alter or change completely but I want to be prepared for everything.

Thank you all so much for all of your great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktdlp View Post
    Wow, brilliant. We do already have our crib but I intend to keep in in the nursery for naps. I am open minded to the idea of cosleeping but would like to have him in his own room, which is directly in front of ours, by three to four months. I have read that using his room as a nap area is a good way to get him familiar with it. Also, I feel that having a cosleeper might give him a little more independence without any feelings of abandonment for the first few months. Obviously each baby is different and the plan might need to alter or change completely but I want to be prepared for everything.

Thank you all so much for all of your great ideas.
    I think that the key is being flexible for sure. I know I had ideas about what I would do and how I would do it but it all went out the window once the baby was born. Even in the case of DS2 we had to adjust completely because he was totally different and the rules that applied with DS1 didn't work with him. DS1 slept in a crib no problem when we moved him into his own room, with DS2 he never once slept in it and we just sold it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Wool nursing pads are what I use. I'm an insane leaker, and I don't leak through those. They also help with plugged ducts.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    I think that the key is being flexible for sure. I know I had ideas about what I would do and how I would do it but it all went out the window once the baby was born. Even in the case of DS2 we had to adjust completely because he was totally different and the rules that applied with DS1 didn't work with him. DS1 slept in a crib no problem when we moved him into his own room, with DS2 he never once slept in it and we just sold it.
    Yeah, I had this idea that I could actually control some of my baby's sleeping habits. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Luckily, he's really cute.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We use a mesh bedrail on our bed to co-sleep. Going to sidecar the crib soon since LO is 21 mths.

The crib has not been slept in once.

I like Motherhood bras personally but a lot of people don't.

I hated teh lilypadz. Felt like I had tape on my nipples. My bestfriend LOVED them so I gave her mine so she would have a second pair.

We used Avent Wide at first but then found Breastflow bottles and LOVED them. Couldn't say a bad thing about them!!!

I never used my Boppy pillow except to prop LO when we were playing on the floor and he was still a little unstable sitting.

Never wore nursing tanks. Just wore my regular tanks and pulled the top down.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I use a co sleeper so that I don't worry about LO falling out of bed if I fall asleep nursing on that side and like it.
    As for nursing pads, I use Naturekins combination organic velour with a wool outer layer for heavy leakage because I leak A LOT and they are the only ones I have found that work for me LOVE THEM.
    For nursing tanks, I just use a sports top with built in bra to hold my nursing pads in place and like it. I also bought some inexpensive tank tops that I cut the breast area out of that I use to cover my stomach while still giving access to my bra and put a regular top over it LOVE THIS as I can use my regular tops and still feel covered.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2threeg; February 24th, 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling