Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Products Help

Default Breastfeeding Products Help

I still have a couple of months to go until my LO is born but I would like to know your opinions on some BF related products.

Does anyone use, love, hate the Arms Reach Co-Sleeper?

Do you recommend using washable, disposable, or silicone bra pads?

What bottles do you recommend for feeding a child that usually has milk from the breast?

What are you favorite nursing Bras and Tops?

Are there any other product recommendations you can give me? Things that a BF mommy can't live without?

Default Re: Breastfeeding Products Help

Congrats on your soon-to-be-held baby!

I don't cosleep, so I cant comment on that product.

I use lily padz, which are reusable self-adhering silicone breast pads. Words cannot describe my love for them I also have some washable cotton ones to use when I want to let the girls "breathe" a bit.

We use playtex drop-ins, and have not yet had problems with nipple preference (didn't start bottles until at least a month though).

I'm still looking for a good nursing tank; the bravado ones were recommended to me, but I haven't ordered one yet.

Other than those, the other one I would recommend is a hooter hider (just google it); it's my fave nursing cover for nursing in public.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I love love love loved my arms reach co sleeper. I used it with all my kids. There was no room in our bed, but that sucker was awesome.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Adiri bottles are supposed to mimic the shape of a boob nipple and the breastflow bottles are supposed. To mimic what a baby does on the breast
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Definitely use a washable breast pad. The disposable ones don't allow your nipples to breath and can increase your chances of getting thrush. Also get a hold of some nipple butter. I prefer MotherLove and Earth Mama Angel Baby. If you get nothing else, that would be my one recommendation. I personally don't use a co-sleeper, I just have my baby in bed with me, between my husband and I. And I never liked nursing bras. I just use wireless and either lift or pull down depending on what I'm wearing. Keep in mind I'm a small breasted woman though.

Bottles are very personal. My daughter would only use Avent. I would suggest not buying a bunch of bottles until after the baby is born. If you can, maybe borrow one or two different ones from friends to see if your baby likes them, them invest in more.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I can only comment on the co-sleeper from experience. I liked it for my son, when I was a first time Mom. It basically acted as a barrier though so I didn't worry about him rolling out. He rarely actually slept in it. Its frustrating because the barrier bar goes higher than the mattresses on either side so you cant just roll over to the co-sleeper and nurse. Plus the mattress is thin, its like a pack n play mattress. So it feels cold to me, and noisy.

For my second child we just had her in bed with us. Comfier and more convenient.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

MY BF babies hated Avent. I cosleep without a co-sleeper so no thoughts there. I use disposable pads. the lilypadz hated me. I couldn't live without my boppy with the twins... didn't use it with DS1 though. I like the bras that you can snap down from the strap instead of open from the middle.
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

i preferred disposable pads since i would sooaak up the cloth ones instantly and it would go through my shirt before i could do anything to stop it. i used those more later on when i leaked less. i liked the nuk disposable ones. i recommend some inexpensive cloth diapers too on hand to use as spit up cloths, or for milk overspray.

liked the nursing tanks at target, still wearing them actually. i had double d's early on and the 2x would fit that. down to reg d now, and they still fit, just less perky. liked that they had bra type straps, not flimsy cloth adjustable spagetti straps like some of the ones they are selling now.

lansinoh ointment was good for sore nipples, used it every feeding for months, had a few tubes lying around in easy reach.

boppy was also good until elena's legs got too long now we just use a regular pillow.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions! It seems that it is all pretty ambiguous though. Different things work for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktdlp View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions! It seems that it is all pretty ambiguous though. Different things work for different people.

Don't invest too much on products in the beginning. If you will be working away from baby then a good double electric or hospital pump will be needed. Otherwise a simple manual will do fine. Buy only one or two nursing bras/tanks in the beginning until you know what size you will be, and also be aware this may change several times during the coming months. A good lanolin ointment is a good idea. Don't buy too many bottles until you know what baby will take. I never really used a nursing pillow or nursing cover. For me, regular bed pillows are fine and a receiving blanket always worked as a cover. You may find out you leak alot in the beginning, other mamas do very little. My advice would be to buy a small box of disposable pads to start with, then purchase other pads depending on what your needs end up being.

The single most important thing you can do is to educate yourself. These forums are a great start. I would also recommend taking a breastfeeding class, reading books, researching your local area for LLL meetings and support groups. BF'ing can be tough in the beginning, but it is so rewarding and easy once you and baby get the hang of it. Congratulations and kudos to you for planning ahead.