Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weaning a newborn

Default Re: weaning a newborn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    DS2 who refused a bottle when I went back to work had some luck with the platex drop-in bottles with the latex nipple. I wasn't a big fan of the drop-ins, I felt they were wasteful but I couldn't find another bottle with a soft nipple like that rather than silicon. We tried a lot of other bottles first but he just wasn't interested.
    My DD was the same with the latex drop in. I saw some Playtex bottles that fit the nipples that are reusable, I think.

Slow flow nipple for sure...

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    My DD was the same with the latex drop in. I saw some Playtex bottles that fit the nipples that are reusable, I think.

Slow flow nipple for sure...
    I had wanted to see if there were other Platex bottles that took those nipples when DS2 was taking bottles but I never got a chance to look since he never did take a bottle after he was 6 months old. It's good to know there might be one though.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Breastflow bottles are the most like breastfeeding for babies who are really resistant to bottles. I had two kids who preferred that bottle.

You are still early enough that if you had to introduce a bottle, you should be able to get away with it easier than if your baby was older. And start a good stash...and check into options for donor milk in your area.

Hope you don't have to wean Bottles after knowing what BFing is like really stink
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Personally, I'd be pumping now to build up a bit of a stash, just in case. I'd also have SO introduce a bottle once a day / every other day. Wait until babe is hungry. Babe will be more inclined to take it from SO than you.

I'm a believer in hope for the best, prepare for the worst. But if you are prepared, it probably won't be needed, because you're prepared.

Lots of luck next week with your results Momma.
    If you have lots of milk take advantage of that and stash as much as you can in the freezer now. Then if you need to wean...

Gradually introduce a bottle every two days in place of a feeding until you are down to all bottles and no nursing sessions. It takes about two days for your body to adjust to skipping that feeding so I don't suggest going any faster than that. Remember being full is what tells your body to make less milk so you want your breasts to feel full just not overly full that it is uncomfortable. I have never tried cabbage leaves but I have heard good things about them for drying the milk.

Let's just hope that weaning isn't needed. Sending good vibes... I know I was drained for a few weeks after delivery of each baby.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I met with my doc and we decided to postpone going back on meds for at least two more weeks. I have begun to pump and trying to build a stash. My husband is going to try a bottle in the next few days.

The good news is that I can take an alternate med that won't be as good of treatment for me but it will keep my condition manageable so that I can continue to BF.

So many people have said - oh she'll be fine if you have to FF. And it would be fine if I HAD to, but for now am so thankful to not have to go there.

Thanks!

!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Awesome!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jme View Post
    So many people have said - oh she'll be fine if you have to FF. And it would be fine if I HAD to, but for now am so thankful to not have to go there.

Thanks!
    Yep. She would be fine. But you want her to be great! Fabulous to hear!!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Whew! Great news!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.