Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: exclusive pumping?

Default exclusive pumping?

Anyone out there have any experience with pumping exclusively? For a variety of reasons I'm beginning to think that DS and I are just not going to be good nursing partners (whereas my first DS and I did very well with breastfeeding), so I'm just trying to prepare for pumping (and pumping and pumping) in case it comes to that. Any tips/advice?

Thanks!!

Default Re: exclusive pumping?

There's an exclusive pumping forum, under the pumping section.

Can you tell us why you're switching to just pumping? Maybe we can help you get ack to nursing? It's much harder to exlusively pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Can you tell us why you're switching to just pumping? Maybe we can help you get ack to nursing? It's much harder to exlusively pump.

I had to resort to EP'ing after almost a year of breastfeeding (not to mention the first few months of his life) and I wish I could have stayed EBF instead. It was so. much. work.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I EPed with DS1, and it was so much work and I feel like I lost out on so much bonding with him that when DS2 came around I was determined not to do pump exclusively in spite of multiple issues (OS/OALD, reflux, tongue-tie, refusing my left breast, etc) and we managed to get through all that and nurse. If there are issues that we can help you work through to keep you from pumping exclusively, these ladies here are full of knowledge. I think it's great you are willing to pump if it can't work out, but I think most problems are worth trying to overcome rather than pump.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I know it's hard, but it's harder to exclusively pump! (especially if you don't have to).

I'm doing both, currently. My DD is an enormous 3 month old. We nurse almost every hour/hour and a half still and she gets 16-20oz of formula on top of it. I pump at work and it's the biggest hassle of my life. I also pump after the first morning feeding when I'm not at work, after the bedtime feeding and I've even added in a 2 am pumping while DD is sleeping. I never get more than 2.5 oz and that's very discouraging. The pump doesn't get milk out as efficiently as the baby so be prepared for your supply to take a hit.

I'm doing fenugreek, mother's milk tea, lots of water and just finished 3 weeks of Reglan. My pump output increased from 2 oz to 2.5 oz during/after the Reglan.