Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleeping 3 month old

Default sleeping 3 month old

We recently encountered several sleep problems and we are trying to work on them...plus the time change will probably mess us up more, so why not try to change things while that's here too. Maybe It's too much to work on more than one thing at a time, but it all just feels a mess. My son will be three months old on the 16th and he is exclusively bf. I am a sahm, so am able to work on sleep stuff with him at naptime too.
    1. For about two weeks, he slept til 3 am. No longer. He gets up between 1230 and 130 every night. I read an earlier bedtime is so much better for them to sleep longer, but I'm not sure it's helping. I used to nurse him between 830 and 900, but now it's 730 and 800.
    2. People keep saying he should be sleeping through the night soon. Well, he gets up again between 4 and 5, then about 730 (usually to have a BM), sometimes taking a cat nap after nursing.
    3. This is the toughest. ..he is fighting sleep bad. If he's nursing at night, he will start pulling off and turning his head several times. I will burp him and put him back on. Sometimes I feel like a jerk because I end up holding him pretty tight and he'll get upset for a few minutes. If I'm trying to put him down for a nap, sometimes he'll scream so bad. If I put him in the swing, he'll move around every time his eyes start to get heavy from following, say, the ceiling fan. I don't want to have such bad habits to break like rocking him forever, but I don't know what to do in order to get him to sleep when I know he's tired (yawning and getting fussy). If I just let him stay up, he'll get overtired and it's so much worse.
    Any sleep tips??

Default Re: sleeping 3 month old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kimijane View Post
    We recently encountered several sleep problems and we are trying to work on them...plus the time change will probably mess us up more, so why not try to change things while that's here too. Maybe It's too much to work on more than one thing at a time, but it all just feels a mess. My son will be three months old on the 16th and he is exclusively bf. I am a sahm, so am able to work on sleep stuff with him at naptime too.
    1. For about two weeks, he slept til 3 am. No longer. He gets up between 1230 and 130 every night. I read an earlier bedtime is so much better for them to sleep longer, but I'm not sure it's helping. I used to nurse him between 830 and 900, but now it's 730 and 800.
    2. People keep saying he should be sleeping through the night soon. Well, he gets up again between 4 and 5, then about 730 (usually to have a BM), sometimes taking a cat nap after nursing.
    3. This is the toughest. ..he is fighting sleep bad. If he's nursing at night, he will start pulling off and turning his head several times. I will burp him and put him back on. Sometimes I feel like a jerk because I end up holding him pretty tight and he'll get upset for a few minutes. If I'm trying to put him down for a nap, sometimes he'll scream so bad. If I put him in the swing, he'll move around every time his eyes start to get heavy from following, say, the ceiling fan. I don't want to have such bad habits to break like rocking him forever, but I don't know what to do in order to get him to sleep when I know he's tired (yawning and getting fussy). If I just let him stay up, he'll get overtired and it's so much worse.
    Any sleep tips??
    I totally syMpathize
    Sometimes my LO fights sleep. Like shed fLp asleep at the boob but then wake up wide awake the moment she's prone,. She gets overtired and upset, the swings the impugning that saved us

I think 3 months is still too young to have bad habits
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kimijane View Post
    Any sleep tips??
    First, who's telling you he should be sleeping through the night soon? I may have a lot of people disagreeing with me about this, but here are my two cents, for what they're worth. No he shouldn't. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great for YOU, but there's no reason HE actually should be, unless it's something he just kind of starts doing by himself, which means it's right for him. It's actually way more common for breastfed babies to wake frequently through the night for several months - and by several, I mean up to and sometimes beyond a year. Your boy sounds pretty normal, especially for three months

As far as the fighting sleep goes, I feel your pain. I have a 5 1/2 month old who's a sleep fighting pro, and I mean pro. I can actually count the number of times she's fallen asleep without me PUTTING her to sleep on one hand, and that includes the time when she was teeny tiny. She does exactly the same thing: starts to drift off, fidget, wake up...starts to drift off, fidget, wake up. Rinse and repeat. Most days she has to cry in order to nap - I'm there the whole time rocking her - either in my arms or in the rocking napper thing. I used to really tie myself in knots about it, but I'm getting to the point where I just consider it to be her thing. My mother tells me (at length, hahaha) what a terrible sleeper I was as a baby.

Here's what I'd say about getting him to sleep: by whatever means necessary at this point. Get him to sleep, and then worry later about breaking bad habits once he used to having regular naps...it can be an easier thing to transition. Plus, he's still awfully little to be forming bad habits anyway. Also, the earlier bedtime really is better, but bear in mind that it often doesn't develop until they're around three or four months, so it sounds like you're right on track.

Finally, it will get better My daughter is still a fairly poor sleeper, but I can definitely see an improvement if I look at things now and compare them to how it was when she was two or three months old. Hang in there!

I agree with the previous poster :-) i think you are doing everything right! Your baby (at this age) needs your help to fall asleep. There may be those few glimmers of hope here and there where they start to fall asleep on their own, but for now they need someone (you!) to help them.

I have a 5 month old who LOVES nursing to sleep. I enjoy it and it works for her so why change? Every once in a while she'll fall asleep on her own...that's when I know that I am not doing anything wrong, someday she won't need me to help her fall asleep so I enjoy it now.

I also remember that right around 3 months is when her sleep patterns changed. She was actually sleeping thru the night at 2 months and then whoa! Teething hit! And a growth spurt hit! And we now have a baby that no longer sleeps thru the night...but it won't be forever.

In response to the bedtime...my LO started setting her own bedtime (around 8:30) and I just followed her cues. That happened right at about 4 months

So it sounds like you're doing everything right. Don't worry, your LO knows exactly what they need and as long as your fulfilling those needs everything will work out great :-)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!