Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrashing/crying fits at breast

Default thrashing/crying fits at breast

My LO has started doing something very strange resulting in her being attached to my breast for upwards of two hours almost non-stop. She will start off eating as normal, and eventually starts to fall asleep, also normal. Then she will detach and start to have somewhat of a tantrum. She will start batting her head against my breast, flailing her arms and legs, shaking her head and crying hysterically, though my breast is still right in front of her face. The only way I can console her is to nearly grab her head and guide her mouth back onto the breast, which she essentially attacks and starts sucking very fast and very painfully. She will continue like this on-breast/off-breast for an hour+ before finally falling asleep for good. During these cycles, sometimes she will abruptly tear her head off the breast, play with my nipple in her mouth without latching, suck little bits. This causes great pain for me, as she is not latching to eat, but just sort of "mouthing" the nipple. I started to try and not put her to the breast at all once the initial feeding was done, but she cried pretty hysterically if I do this, which I dont like and isnt good for any of us. Any suggestions?

Default Re: thrashing/crying fits at breast

It sounds Luke you might have an overactive letdown and it's frustrating/upsettingher. She also might be going thru a growthspurt
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

And on the other side of the continuum, it could also be that she's frustrated the milk isn't flowing fast enough anymore. My baby cries and thrashes after the first few minutes of a feeding because of this. Alternately, could it be that she's wanting to sleep, but frustrated because she likes the comfort of nursing but without having milk dribbling into her mouth? You could try replacing your nipple with a paci after she's actually finished feeding - holding her in the same position all the while. Just a thought.

Oh I feel your frustration! I wish I had the answer, my LO does this exact same thing every single night when I am trying to get her to sleep. She repeats the process about 5 times before actually staying asleep. she does get fussy during daytime feedings as well and has been doing it for weeks now. I have no clue what to do. I have tried the paci thing too, sneaking it in when she unlatches. She usually sucks on it for a while then falls asleep, but wakes up as soon as she spits it out and does the whole fit thing over again. Im just hoping its some kind of phase. Her dr says she is colicky so I partly assume it has to do with that. Im hoping someone posts a reply with a magic solution

no definite solution, but can express some solidarity! my lo does the same from time to time, and i have found it seems to be any of variety of reasons: slow letdown/breast being mainly drained (solved by offering the other), or trapped wind (solved when he passes it!), or the tiredness described above. for the latter, sometimes I sit him up for a minute or two and talk soothingly to him, he doesn't necessarily stop fussing then, but when i offer him the breast again sometimes it seems to break the cycle. the first has been an issue during growth spurts.
    Last edited by @llli*littlegreen; March 14th, 2011 at 11:15 AM.

thanks for the support everyone! I talked to someone who asked about my caffiene intake. I'm not sure about the rest of you experiencing this, but I have been drinking one cup of black tea w/milk around noon. She said that caffiene for mom in the morning usually gets through to the babe evening/night. She suggested taking that out to see if it makes a difference. Today is super tired day #1. I will let you all know if it helps!