Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new mom needs help. milk supply low...

Unhappy new mom needs help. milk supply low...

I'm sad my milk supply has gotten so low. I have been supplementing formula because of it even though I have been pumping like crazy every 3, hours and nursing my son as well.. any advice on increasing supply?

Default Re: new mom needs help. milk supply low...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*williesmomma34 View Post
    I'm sad my milk supply has gotten so low. I have been supplementing formula because of it even though I have been pumping like crazy every 3, hours and nursing my son as well.. any advice on increasing supply?
    I'm a n0ob at this (been BFing for 3 weeks, 3 days) but IMO A. ditch the formula. B. start eating oatmeal, drink LOTS of water and get Fenugreek. From what I've read, supplementing with formula undermines your breastmilk supply. Let the LO nurse as much as he/she wants and your breasts should create the milk the LO needs.

I am not an expert though...
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

How old is your baby? How long do you pump and what type of pump are you using?

How do you know your supply is low??
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

My son was born 2-20-2011 and is growing so much. When I pump I pump for 20 minutes on each side... my pump is a playtex one

I second Dara's question- how do you KNOW you have low supply? A lot of new mamas mistake normal aspects of breastfeeding for low supply. If your baby is growing and is producing enough wet and poopy diapers on breastmilk alone, then your supply is okay. Good output = good input.

The following are all normal:
    - Not leaking
    - Not feeling engorged, hard, or "full"
    - Fussy baby
    - Baby nurses frequently, perhaps every 1-2 hours or even more often
    - Baby nurses for long time periods
    - Mom is unable to pump much milk (Being able to pump 1-2 oz is fine, pumping less than that is not an indication of a problem as long as baby is growing and producing adequate diapers)
    - Baby takes significant amount from a bottle even after nursing
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here's a link from kellymom.com for weaning off formula supplements. It didn't work for us because I had to go back to work right after I found it. Maybe it'll help you out. I've also found tons of information and answers to questions on kellymom.com.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

I love mommal's advice, she answer's alot of my questions on the breastfeeding your infant 3-12 months' forum.

Is nursing for 5-10 mins per side every hour (except at night from 10 pm -7am) normal behavior for a 3 month old? My baby girl nurses like this plus ~16-20 oz of formula per day. She nurses and falls asleep then wakes 10-20 mins later wanting to nurse again and repeats hour after hour.

And how do you pump after feedings when you're nursing this often?

My supply hasn't increased despite nursing this often, pumping after bedtime and 1st morning feedings, fenugreek, mother's tea, an extra pump session at 2 am, and a 3 week run of Reglan...well, I may have gotten an extra 1/2 oz after the Reglan. But even after three months I still feel like I'm doing it all wrong. I have hope for you that it works itself out. Good luck to you and your little one!

Ok that's my very same pump I started with.

Rent a hospital grade pump. You should be able to do that if your on WIC. Unless your husband makes like 6figure you should be able to get on WIC. A hospital pump will get so much more than the playtex ones. I used medala symphony, according to the instructions. And it WAS so much better at getting milk. Plus after the rental period you get a nifty hand pump to keep

Pump every 2hrs. I did it every time I had a let down and steed my milk while I gave my LO formula at night, BM during the day (I had bad latch problems ) eventually I got a great supply and eventually got the latch problems fixed and tossed the rest of the formula (it was the 'ready to serve' stuff)
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing