Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problem with teeth digging into my skin while nursing

Default problem with teeth digging into my skin while nursing

Okay so my baby has 4 teeth now- 2 on top, 2 on bottom. The top two are new, and are starting to cause some problem. She has never bit me, but the issue is that while she is nursing, the one tooth on the top digs into my skin. It actually leaves a red indentation on my skin when I am done nursing. It hurts to nurse her now because of that- it feels like someone is sticking a pin into my skin in the spot the tooth is touching while she sucks away. Any ideas?

Default Re: problem with teeth digging into my skin while nursing

I don't have any ideas for you, but I wanted to let you know that I recently went through this. Her teeth were actually only digging into me on one side. Although I favored the side that didn't hurt, I continued breastfeeding on both so I wouldn't become engorged on the one side. After about 1-1/2 weeks, it stopped happening. I'm not sure if she adjusted her latch or what, but we aren't experiencing the problem anymore. Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

When my little one started getting her top two teeth in I had the same sores around the upper part of my areola where her gums rested. I think it was a combo of her changing her latch a little because of the pressure of the teeth coming in and also when they teeth the extra saliva can irritate your breast. The sores were extremely painful for a couple weeks, and then just all of a sudden improved as her teeth came in and she got used to them (I hear this often from other moms). Some things that helped in the mean time is varying her position (try side lying, football hold if she'll let you - mine wouldn't, etc.), getting her to open really wide before latching on, and making sure that her weight is well supported so that the upper gums aren't pressing down on your breast. Also make sure her chin isn't tucked into her chest, but rather try and get her to tilt her chin up as much as you can while latching.

Some tips that are helpful can be found here:

Teeth Indentations

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you so much! I really thought I was crazy- I kept thinking "okay, I've heard of biting, but what in the world is THIS?" Now I know its normal, and ways to fix it! Thanks!