Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it over?

Default Re: Is it over?

Hi JacobsMom,

My pediatrician told me to use a bottle too after breastfeeding. Remember that "supplementation" and "bottle feeding" does NOT have to mean formula. You can always supplement and bottle feed using breast milk. And the extra pumping will help keep your supply up.

Good Luck!

What is your son's birthdate? You said he was 5 months old, so I'm guessing late May? According to the weight figures you listed, your son gained a little over 2 ounces per week in the period between his last two weight checks (Sept. and Oct.). According to The Breastfeeding Answer Book, average weight gain for a baby age 4-6 months is 4-5 ounces per week, and average weight gain for 6-12 months is 2-4 ounces per week. So, your baby's weight gain is below average for his age. I've included a link to the WHO growth charts, which are based on exclusively breastfed babies.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

According to these charts, your baby has fallen in percentile quite a bit (if I have his age correct) from around the 50th percentile at birth to below the 3rd currently. Now, this could be due to some sort of problem (i.e. medical issue, not enough calories, etc.) OR it could just be that you have a small child. This could just be his genetic predisposition. Are you and/or the baby's dad small in stature? Is he meeting developmental milestones? How are his growth in length and head circumference. I was told with my son that if the problem is malnutrition (not enough calories) you will first see a slow/stop in weight gain, then a slow in growth in length, and finally head circumference. Have you considered seeing a lactation consultant? It does sound from your description like the formula did not agree with your son at all. How does he react if you offer to nurse more frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
    Hi JacobsMom,

My pediatrician told me to use a bottle too after breastfeeding. Remember that "supplementation" and "bottle feeding" does NOT have to mean formula. You can always supplement and bottle feed using breast milk. And the extra pumping will help keep your supply up.

Good Luck!
    I've been trying to pump & i do it after my BO is asleep for the night so i don't have a lack while he's awake, but all I get is 2oz at a time. If i keep pumping after nothing comes out will it help it later on? 'Cause i've nothing against bottle feeding & i've even offered to switch to that if his dad would like to feed him more often (he has refused as he wants what's best for Jake).

And he turned 5mths on the 25th.

While reading other post, i came across this text

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/scales.asp

My hubby-to-be is about 5' 4" & I'm 5' 2.5", so maybe he's just small, but I thought that Jacob was tall as he was 21" when he was born. He is now 24" & the ped say he has not slowed down his height gain curve.

Question Re: Is it over?

Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    What is your son's birthdate? You said he was 5 months old, so I'm guessing late May? According to the weight figures you listed, your son gained a little over 2 ounces per week in the period between his last two weight checks (Sept. and Oct.). According to The Breastfeeding Answer Book, average weight gain for a baby age 4-6 months is 4-5 ounces per week, and average weight gain for 6-12 months is 2-4 ounces per week. So, your baby's weight gain is below average for his age. I've included a link to the WHO growth charts, which are based on exclusively breastfed babies.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

According to these charts, your baby has fallen in percentile quite a bit (if I have his age correct) from around the 50th percentile at birth to below the 3rd currently. Now, this could be due to some sort of problem (i.e. medical issue, not enough calories, etc.) OR it could just be that you have a small child. This could just be his genetic predisposition. Are you and/or the baby's dad small in stature? Is he meeting developmental milestones? How are his growth in length and head circumference. I was told with my son that if the problem is malnutrition (not enough calories) you will first see a slow/stop in weight gain, then a slow in growth in length, and finally head circumference. Have you considered seeing a lactation consultant? It does sound from your description like the formula did not agree with your son at all. How does he react if you offer to nurse more frequently?
    What do you mean by "developmental milestones"?
    Is it like holding his head up while on tummy time or rolling from back to front & back again?

Yes, developmental milestones would include things like motor and cognitive skills that a baby is expected to achieve at certain ages. Your pediatrician likely asks you about them at well child visits.

In response to your question about pumping, continuing to pump even when you are no longer getting any milk (or have just a trickle) signals to your body that it needs to make more. So, that is a good way to build supply for future pumping sessions. Many mothers with a supply issue will pump after feedings to help build supply.