Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it over?

Default Is it over?

From very early on my son Jacob would pop off from time to time while I'm breastfeeding. At the begining, all was fine, he would do his routine of popping off, but I could pop him back on & he would continue to feed. Now he is 5mths old & he started to have weight issues. The ped I am seeing said at 1st to give him a bottle once a day & now he is saying to give him a bottle after everytime I breastfeed him.

I was hopping for some encouragement from him & some tips, but I've gotten nothing from him & I believe that my son is having trouble breatfeeding properly. Is the popping off normal & a sign that he needs to bottle feed or is it just something we need to work on with maybe some help? I really would rather breatfeed as i know it's the best thing for him. Please help !

Default Re: Is it over?

Welcome to the forum! I would get a hold of a Lacation Consultant and/or an LLL Leader. You should have someone look at your latch. It is totally possible to become a full time breastfeeder with no bottles, but you need help. Keep trying different positions in the meantime and spend lots of time trying. Practice kangaroo care (skin to skin contact) and even take a bath together. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice kst7399! I was actually looking for a Lacation Consultant in the yellow pages when i came across a phone number that referred me to this web site. I will keep looking for one, but this web site really helps. As I was waiting for a reply to my post, I read that some1 was having a similar problem & she thought it might b the LO teething that was the problem. Maybe it's the same with my LO. If any1 has anymore advice, I would gladly accept it.

p.s: your pic os really adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobsmom View Post
    p.s: your pic os really adorable!
    Thank you!

There are so many reasons you could be having problems, which is why someone who can look at your exact situation in person is ideal. Try the LLL Leader though (click on the link I attached). They are free and also a great way to meet other moms!

I am in the same situation, only my twins are 9 wks old. I haven't had a lactation consultant visit with me yet, but I have spoken to one over the phone. Her advice to me (which I am passing along) is not to stress. You are doing your best, and if you're determined to nurse you can do it. Just make sure you nurse first, and supplement after. I have found that my boys only needed like 3 bottles a day to grow by leaps and bounds. Hopefully with determined effort and pumping I'll be able to get my milk supply up to cover those ounces, but if not...is it the end of the world if my babies are only 3/4 breastfed? They are healthy and happy and I am bonding with them while I nurse what I can. Get help from a lactation consulatant, but don't despair! There is hope out there.

Jacob's Mom - how much does your LO weigh? What did he weigh at birth?

My little guy is 5 months old today and only just doubled his birth weight... he has only been in the 10th percentile for weight since 2 months. He was 6-14 at birth and yesterday he weighed in at 14-3... still pretty small. However, a little bit of the opposite problem here - its ME who is freaking out at his poor eating habits. My doctor yesterday actually told me to relax - she said his eating habits aren't poor or 'bad' - she said thats just how my son eats - so whats normal for him may not be normal for other babies. She actually told me NOT to supplement, as long as he was gaining weight - even if its not at the same rate as other babies. My issue has been that my DS has only ever eaten for like 3-5 minutes... as of about 2-3 weeks ago, he's pretty much refusing to eat during the day, and only eating in the middle of the night... During the day if I do get him to the breast, its only for like 1 or 2 minutes now - otherwise he is perfectly content, just doesn't seem to have an appetite.

Anyways, another thing my doctor told me was not to stree out (just like the PPs) and not to get overly emotional b/c that will cause him to get more upset at eating. I think I am pretty lucky to have an understanding doctor - you'd think all of this would be what I'd be hearing from a lactation consultant rather than my doctor!

Not much advice I know -more wanted to let you know you have lots of support on here!

Lisa

Hi! My DS name is Jacob too. He is 4 1/2 months.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I definitely think you should keep going with the breastfeeding. There are lots of reasons that he could be popping off...my son does that sometimes - for him it is distractibility and overactive let-down. A LC or LLL leader could go through everything with you to figure out what's going on. Is he peeing/pooping okay? What kind of wt issues is he having?
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Jacobsmom--Could you give us some more specifics about your LO's nursing patterns and growth rates? That might help to give you some more specific advise. As pp's stated there could be many reasons for popping off the breast. Also, it is common for weight gain to start to slow down quite a bit after the first few months. Has he stopped gaining completely, or just gaining slowly? I second the advice to talk to a local LLL leader or LC as well.

lf105--Your baby's growth actually sounds right on track! According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, a typical breastfed baby doubles birthweight by about 5-6 months and then reach about 2 1/2 times birthweight by one year.

Quote Originally Posted by lf105 View Post
    Jacob's Mom - how much does your LO weigh? What did he weigh at birth?

My little guy is 5 months old today and only just doubled his birth weight... he has only been in the 10th percentile for weight since 2 months. He was 6-14 at birth and yesterday he weighed in at 14-3... still pretty small. However, a little bit of the opposite problem here - its ME who is freaking out at his poor eating habits. My doctor yesterday actually told me to relax - she said his eating habits aren't poor or 'bad' - she said thats just how my son eats - so whats normal for him may not be normal for other babies. She actually told me NOT to supplement, as long as he was gaining weight - even if its not at the same rate as other babies. My issue has been that my DS has only ever eaten for like 3-5 minutes... as of about 2-3 weeks ago, he's pretty much refusing to eat during the day, and only eating in the middle of the night... During the day if I do get him to the breast, its only for like 1 or 2 minutes now - otherwise he is perfectly content, just doesn't seem to have an appetite.

Anyways, another thing my doctor told me was not to stree out (just like the PPs) and not to get overly emotional b/c that will cause him to get more upset at eating. I think I am pretty lucky to have an understanding doctor - you'd think all of this would be what I'd be hearing from a lactation consultant rather than my doctor!

Not much advice I know -more wanted to let you know you have lots of support on here!

Lisa
    Quote Originally Posted by llowe View Post
    Jacobsmom--Could you give us some more specifics about your LO's nursing patterns and growth rates? That might help to give you some more specific advise. As pp's stated there could be many reasons for popping off the breast. Also, it is common for weight gain to start to slow down quite a bit after the first few months. Has he stopped gaining completely, or just gaining slowly? I second the advice to talk to a local LLL leader or LC as well.

lf105--Your baby's growth actually sounds right on track! According to the Breastfeeding Answer Book, a typical breastfed baby doubles birthweight by about 5-6 months and then reach about 2 1/2 times birthweight by one year.
    Well Jake's BW was 7.7, & ever since he was gaining weight, but not within the normal rate for infants, meaning that, yes, he did keep gaining on the same curb until the 28 of Aug. The previous apt he was 10 1/4 & then he was only 10 1/2. Then on the 29 of Sept he was 11+/- & then on the 23 of Oct he was 11 1/2.

On the 16th of Oct, i went to the ped & he said that he had barely gained weight so he sent us for some test to make sure all was ok. All the tests came back clean, but he said he wanted me to supplement with 1 bottle a day after I breastfed. Of course I did that, but my LO started to become very fussy & i notice him throwing up a lot more.

B4 I supplemented though, Jake never seemed hungry after I fed him. While at home he ate every 2hours & when i was out he only asked every 3-4hours. At night from very early on he would sleep at 9:00pm & wake at 4:30am & rarely changed. His diapers were always very wet & his bms happened every 3-4days. It was about at 2 1/2 mths that we started to go see this ped & it was because my mother, father & sister were saying that he was too skinny (my sister actually went as far as saying I was starving him!). I had asked him questions & all I got was that he was a little under weight, but he had been gaing weight on the same curve, so all should b fine. I had also asked him about his drooling as about that time he ahd started drooling a lot more, & he still has not decreased in the amount, even he might have increase his drooling.

Anyways, as I felt like the formula was not agreeing with him, I've started just BF him, unless i thought i can't, & i've stated giving him a little cereal (only 4-6 x 1/4tsp) as he seemed to want to eat solid food. Now i find that he is more back to his old habits, but is more fussy at night, but calms down if I massage his gums & he still does not seem to be hungry if he BFs at night.

I apologize for the novel, but I really want 2 do what's best 4 him, so i wrote all the details i could remember.