Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another lipase question

Default Another lipase question

I just started having excess lipase in my pumped milk when my triplets turned about 11 months to 1 year. I cannot find what causes it and how to make it go away. i know I can scald my milk, but there has to be some explanation for WHY it happens and what might make it stop. Does anyone have any information they can share? I have looked hard for information out there and can't find any. I can't imagine that someone hasn't done a study on it. And if that's the case, they should! Who has time to scald milk when it would be much easier to change diet, etc.
    Any info would be great!!

Default Re: Another lipase question

That information isn't really out there, and I suspect nobody knows. I looked too. I am EPing for a cleft baby and I don't have time to scald either.

IMHO, my lipase is probably related to pumping. I didn't have lipase with babies #1, #2 or #3...until I started pumping more to provide milk to a friend when #3 was 10ish months old instead of just pumping once in a while. It was fine for several weeks -- and all my frozen milk was OK, which I had accumulated over that 10 months -- and then suddenly started in. It's like the action of the pump activates the enzyme. I noticed it at 5ish weeks with #4.

Frustrating, isn't it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kristobin View Post
    I just started having excess lipase in my pumped milk when my triplets turned about 11 months to 1 year. I cannot find what causes it and how to make it go away. i know I can scald my milk, but there has to be some explanation for WHY it happens and what might make it stop. Does anyone have any information they can share? I have looked hard for information out there and can't find any. I can't imagine that someone hasn't done a study on it. And if that's the case, they should! Who has time to scald milk when it would be much easier to change diet, etc.
    Any info would be great!!
    I believe there has been information about it being linked to excersize. Have you recently started being more active? I am also surprised that there hasn't been more studies or more information about it. The most information I've ever found about it has been here.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I haven't changed my activity level at all. But I am pumping more than I used to. When I started giving my LOs sippy cups and moving them off bottles, they started to nurse less. So I started pumping more. I was only a part time nurser anyway, with triplets it was too hard for me to nurse full time. So I bet the pumping and producing less signaled my body to change the milk. I really am surprised that there is no research on this. Alot of women work and have to pump - it's not like this is only a multiples issue!
    The one other thing that changed was that I had to eliminate dairy from my diet for a while because one girl was allergic. I have reintroduced it though, so I don't know if that's the problem or not.