Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "meaty" smelling and tasting milk

Default "meaty" smelling and tasting milk

Don't know if this is a lipase problem or not, but when I thaw my milk recently, it has a gross "meaty to rotten meat" smell and taste. I've been breastfeeding/pumping/freezing milk with no problems for 4 1/2 mos and have just noticed this problem this past week when my infant refused the bottles, and began having stomach aches and big/stinky pooters. I'm using plastic bottles, and some new bottles have this slight smell already (or maybe I'm paranoid). I have some milk in breastmilk storage bags and will thaw that tomorrow to see if it is also affected. I also scalded some fresh milk today and froze it to see if affected. It seems like maybe some 2-3 day old fresh milk is getting a slight meaty smell or perhaps its the plastic bottle smell again. I upped the temperature in my fridge/freezer. Milk is storaged in freezer with meat so conceivable there is some smell transfer but seems odd that taste is affected. with the gassiness/stomachaches, I suspect milk is bad and am thinking I may have to toss all of my supply which totally sucks. milk is between 1 day and 4 mos old. any thoughts on what is going on, if its a lipase issue, etc. Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*1304wonder; March 11th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Default "meaty" smelling and tasting milk

*bump*

I don't have any idea why your milk would smell meaty, but I thought I'd bump your post back to the top I think a lipase problem would make the milk soapy tasting. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Default Re: "meaty" smelling and tasting milk

Could be lipase. Mine does not smell soapy. It smells rank.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Could be lipase. Mine does not smell soapy. It smells rank.
    Mine too. Like vomit actually. But he still drank it because it tasted fine. Just smelled bad.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yeah, I never thought mine tasted soapy either. Just really, really...really gross. You could definitely be right that it is lipase, it wouldn't hurt to scald some and see if that solves the problem.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Mine too. Like vomit actually. But he still drank it because it tasted fine. Just smelled bad.
    ya mine smells like vomit. Tastes like it too. But I think it tastes like that right after I pump it too so I never bothered to scald it. Baby still drinks it.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I'm SO glad to see this! I've been dealing with this over the last week or so, and thought it was weird that mine didn't smell soapy. It smells/tastes sort of like protein and digestion after a while. Kind of vomity but also the protein part. Weird.

My fresh milk is nice and normal, but I've experimented (which sucks because I do NOT have a great supply) and found that it starts getting nasty after about an hour on the counter and about 4 hours in the fridge. I'm going to have to see what happens if I freeze straight away. I've been scalding, even though my daughter will take the nasty milk...I just feel sort of guilty giving her something so gross

If you don't have to scald then don't. It does take away some of the immune properties. Really, it makes no differrence to the baby

We are and at school

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    If you don't have to scald then don't. It does take away some of the immune properties. Really, it makes no differrence to the baby
    I know, I know I feel conflicted about doing it, but I'm concerned about building up a long-term emergency stash. She'll take the stuff that's been in the freezer for a couple of weeks, but I've never tried it at a couple of months. Fortunately, she only gets a 4 oz bottle 3x per week and all the rest straight from the tap, so I know 99% of her intake is still alive and kicking

I didn't mean to make you feel bad Do what you feel is best. There are benefits to breastmilk beyond the immune properties. Your doing great!

We are and at school