Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New young mom needs help

Default Re: New young mom needs help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktdlp View Post
    I too need some guidance from veteran BF mommies. I am going to be giving birth to my first LO at the end of May. I have ordered "The womanly art of breastfeeding," but until I receive it from Amazon I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

First of all, my BF plan is six months of only BM and then BM and solids for the next six months. I am a stay at home mother and can provide breastfeeding for my child all day everyday but what about the few occasions in the next year that I will need to be away from him? I already know of two weddings that we will be attending. There is the possibility that I will consume some alcohol at these events as well. So, my questions are.. How do I pump enough milk for the period of time I will be away from my child and how long must I wait between consuming alcohol and feeding again? Once my production is established, can I not pump extra milk for special occasions?

Also, if I receive and epidural can I still BF right away or do the nurses have to give the baby formula? Will this increase the chances of the baby rejecting my breast?

Thank you all ahead of time for your help and support.
    I had epi and was able to nurse rigth away no issues, I was also induced. no issues nursing here!

I HIGHLY reccomend that you attend local LLL meeting BEFORE baby comes! It is great to havet this info and knowledge BEFORE baby comes!!

you can pump extra milk to go out a few times...how much you need depends on the age your baby will be and how long you will be away!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Oh and as for alchohol the standard is 2 hour after drinking. Theres a product that tests your MAC to make sure it metabolized and if it's safe to nurse
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Thank you! My concern about the epidural was more about the medicine in my body, if it would enter my BM. I am aware of the difficulties of latching as I am watching my sister in law struggle everyday with it. My niece was born 3 days ago. I did not think about pumping in the hospital. They are currently supplementing formula and it seems to create less interest in the breast.

@dara I would love to attend a LLL meeting but I live out of the country and even though they have LLL here, they lectures are not in my native language. I am trying to get as much information as possible out of books, boards, internet, and the pediatrician I have here.
    Last edited by @llli*ktdlp; March 12th, 2011 at 07:59 PM.

I managed to give my LO colstrum twice from bfing but it became increasingly difficult, especially with the LC ISISTING I use pillows to support my LO and get her lined up perfectly. That was hard enough considering hospital pillows are flat, plastic and hard to manipulate. I had to figure what works best for US not what the expectations are.

DO NOT let them boss you around when it comes to thus. Sure listen to their advice, but find what works yourself.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Hi kdlp! I would strongly encourage you to post your own thread, where you might attract more attention to your questions! But I agree with PPs here - getting an epidural should not hurt your chances of breastfeeding, nor do the medications get into your milk in significant amounts. HOWEVER, a hospital that routinely supplements COULD be a problem, and you're going to want to be very well informed and possibly outspoken about your desire to go without pacifiers, formula, bottles, etc., until breastfeeding is well established!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Good answers already, but don't expect that 8 hours of sleep to last forever. Just when you think you've got 'em figured out, they go and mix it up on you!! Certainly, take what you can get and sleep when the baby sleeps.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Also, while an epi should not affect your chances of breastfeeding there is a small possibility it might. An epi is a useful tool for some women, but it is not necessary for many. In my opinion it was important not to take even the slightest risk with breastfeeding unless I had to. I had an epi with my first and not with my second. The epi kept me from needing a c section (which has a much higher risk of aversely affecting breastfeeding) so I felt it was a good trade.

As for alcohol, there is some difference of opinion. I tend to side with the European school who feel that as long as it is not affecting you, it is not affecting the baby. Many American doctors would not feel comfortable with that attitude.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Hi kdlp! I would strongly encourage you to post your own thread, where you might attract more attention to your questions! But I agree with PPs here - getting an epidural should not hurt your chances of breastfeeding, nor do the medications get into your milk in significant amounts. HOWEVER, a hospital that routinely supplements COULD be a problem, and you're going to want to be very well informed and possibly outspoken about your desire to go without pacifiers, formula, bottles, etc., until breastfeeding is well established!
    I had an epi with both of mine, and although we did have latching issues, they were due to tongue-tie and not the epi. Both of them were alert and trying to latch within the first 20-30 min (maybe less, I don't remember exactly) after they were born.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

@ Joe's Mom

I am going to be birthing at a private hospital in Mexico that has a 80%+ C-section rate. My doctor personally has a much lower c-section rate but not low by any means. The hospital seems to be very supplement happy and they make you go through this big process of signing forms to strictly breastfeed. It is a very intimidating process. On top of that, most of the woman that I am surrounded by that are considered BF moms supplement more than half of their children's milk and only BF for max 3 months. I feel like they react very negatively to me when I openly express my desire to strictly give breast milk for the first year. Maybe they feel like I am insulting their parenting?

Anyways, as you can see it is very difficult for me to find the answers to many of my questions in the environment that I am in. I will start a new thread with the next q's I have.. There are plenty to come.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ktdlp View Post
    Thank you! My concern about the epidural was more about the medicine in my body, if it would enter my BM. I am aware of the difficulties of latching as I am watching my sister in law struggle everyday with it. My niece was born 3 days ago. I did not think about pumping in the hospital. They are currently supplementing formula and it seems to create less interest in the breast.

here.
    Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the meds from an epi would not be in the milk because they are not in your blood. But in any case I wouldn't worry about it. I had a c-section and was given a variety of pain meds post op that did enter my milk and still was able and encouraged to nurse.

To the OP - I stopped leaking by 3-4 months.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!