Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New young mom needs help

Default New young mom needs help

I just have a few questions I can't really find answers for. My baby is 5 weeks and exclusively breast-fed.

1. What exactly does it mean when your milk supply is "established", and how do you know when that has happened?

2. Will I ever be able to go through the night without nursing or pumping, and not wake up engorged? My 5 week old sleeps 8 hours a night (no joke).

3. Will my breasts ever stop leaking?

Thanks

Default Re: New young mom needs help

I think when your milk supply is established can vary from person to person, but usually about 6 weeks is when people say your supply is established. As far as getting engorged it will go away with time as your body realizes your baby is not demanding milk at that time. And yes you will stop leaking. I would say by about 6 months leaking wasn't as drastic and I didn't constantly have a burp cloth stuffed down my shirt and by about 9 months I only rarely leaked.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Post Re: New young mom needs help

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*loisarbuckle View Post
    1. What exactly does it mean when your milk supply is "established", and how do you know when that has happened?
    This usually means your supply has adjusted to your baby's demand, and is not likely to increase or decrease quickly. Six weeks is a good marker. I would have said two or three months, myself, but that's not to make you nervous. I just just remember everything calming down (less engorgement, etc.) around that time, for me.

2. Will I ever be able to go through the night without nursing or pumping, and not wake up engorged? My 5 week old sleeps 8 hours a night (no joke).
    Yes, but it will take time. Eventually your body will get used to going longer without nursing at night.

3. Will my breasts ever stop leaking?
    Yes, but it may be a WHILE. I was still leaking now and then when Joe was eight months old (it was less common, though). However, the constant "leakiness" went away much earlier than that. At six to eight months, I only leaked when I was gearing up to feed Joe (my boobs sometimes jumped the gun). Now I never leak. In the meantime, buy stock in nursing pads.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful! One last question: is it ok to go the entire night without pumping/nursing? Will it effect my milk supply?

Can I say I am envious your baby sleeps for 8 hours at night! Lucky momma!
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

I've got a sleeper too. It is okay to not nurse/pump at this point. The engorgement will resolve faster if you stop pumping. Sleep on your stomach if you can - the constant pressure can help inhibit letdown. I will sometimes wear a tight sports bra with a nursing tank if I'm having an exceptionally full night.

I also use lily pads (www.lilypadz.com). They keep you from leaking at all. I have to replace mine a bit more often then the website says, but they are totally worth it to me.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful! One last question: is it ok to go the entire night without pumping/nursing? Will it effect my milk supply?
    It might that early but if your LO nurses atleast 8 times during the da it should be fine
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

It will probably be fine, although if you see a decrease in your milk supply, I'd say, take that baby into bed with you in the early morning to get more nursing in. Women whose babies sleep well do sometimes have a harder time pumping enough if they work, and they often get their period back earlier too. BUT, 5 weeks is so early. Your baby might start waking more at night later. Enjoy the sleep while you can!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I too need some guidance from veteran BF mommies. I am going to be giving birth to my first LO at the end of May. I have ordered "The womanly art of breastfeeding," but until I receive it from Amazon I was hoping someone could answer some questions for me.

First of all, my BF plan is six months of only BM and then BM and solids for the next six months. I am a stay at home mother and can provide breastfeeding for my child all day everyday but what about the few occasions in the next year that I will need to be away from him? I already know of two weddings that we will be attending. There is the possibility that I will consume some alcohol at these events as well. So, my questions are.. How do I pump enough milk for the period of time I will be away from my child and how long must I wait between consuming alcohol and feeding again? Once my production is established, can I not pump extra milk for special occasions?

Also, if I receive and epidural can I still BF right away or do the nurses have to give the baby formula? Will this increase the chances of the baby rejecting my breast?

Thank you all ahead of time for your help and support.

Also, if I receive and epidural can I still BF right away or do the nurses have to give the baby formula? Will this increase the chances of the baby rejecting my breast?

Thank you all ahead of time for your help and support.
    it shouldn't mess with your breast feeding chances. All it does is numb you waste down, not your arms. It does not cause you to smell weird or permiate the colstrum. I had an epidural but I couldn't get a latch because my nipples were weird. It's not as easy as it looks, please mama research alternatve holds, latch techniques such as the nipple sandwich, and what to do if you can't BF right away ( like your LO needs to be in the nicu or extended time under bili lights) if they won't let you BF under circumstances ask for a pump and tell them not to use nipples. Defiantly INSiST NO FORMULA I wishe I knew all this before hand. Al I dud was watch videos of women with perfect bullet bnipples I felt like a failure for so long.
    Last edited by @llli*sailoryue; March 12th, 2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Lol I said ask for a pimp instead of pump xD
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing