Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recurrent Milk Blister

Default Recurrent Milk Blister

I am running out of ideas so here I am to see if anyone else has experienced this.
    I have occassionally had milk blisters during my years of BF but they usually go away quickly once I have used warm compresses, popped them and used Lansinoh for a few days.
    Now I have one that has been going on for a few months. With this child this particular nipple has always cracked in the same place from time to time, something to do with our anatomy and her suck. If she was teething or got lazy with her suck at naptime the area would turn white and crack. That is not happening anymore, now I keep getting a milk blister that almost feels calloused. I do pop it when it gets painful, it will resolve and then come back again. I do use a sterile needle and aseptic technique so I am certain it is not infected. It is not any other type of sore and I have looked it up in the leader's manual and really am not finding any additional information there. I have never been prone to yeast or herpes. I have not been exposed to these either.
    Normally I would not hesitate to mention things to the doctor but my pediatrician was shocked that we were nursing at age one so she would really be shocked now that dd is over age three LOL. My OB/Gyn doesn't know I am breastfeeding and since we are TTC he would also be shocked and would tell me again to wean before we TTC.
    The more we nurse the better the situation is. We were down to once or twice a day but last week DD had an ear infection and went back to several times a day.
    Hope that is enough information. Thanks for any ideas.

momuvseven

Default Re: Recurrent Milk Blister

I'm going to defer you to this thread and see if anything there jumps out at you or helps -- http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=931

You said that things are alright as long as baby is nursing frequently, correct?

Thanks Carol, I did read the other thread. Since DD is over three it really is an inconveniance for me and I can manage it. I think it is kind of hopeless to work with her latch at this point. She is very good to open wider and relatch when asked. Like most things this too shall pass.

momuvseven

Momuvseven,
    You may actually have an advantage because your nursling is 3. She can understand when you insist that she latch on properly I do hope it passes quickly for you. Have you tried the leithicin (sp) supplements to see if that helps at all?

Carol,

I haven't tried them. I will think about it. Thanks for your support.

momuvseven