Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I increase my evening supply?

Default Re: How can I increase my evening supply?

You've gotten good advice here. My gut response reading the title of your post was, "Why worry about the evenings? If you need to increase your supply, you should increase it overall." Lower supply (and fussiness) in the evenings is normal, but if your supply is generally good, that's fine, and it all evens out. So your supply in the evening may never be as high as it is in the morning (my supply is still highest at night and in the morning, and my LO is almost two!), BUT, that's fine. Baby adjusts.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to increase your supply! I would keep up the good work, and not stress too much about the evening fussies. I know, easier said than done, right?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: How can I increase my evening supply?

Thanks for the response, joesmom. I have actually struggled with low supply since day 1. Though my supply seems to be increasing, I am still supplementing my LO occasionally. I know this is necessary from watching his diaper output and weight gain closely. I specifically ask about how to increase my evening supply because that seems to be when I need to supplement him... I have read that some measure of fussiness in the evenings is normal, but I just believe (mother's intuition I guess) that he's not getting enough food in the evenings, which is when I usually have to supplement him.

I agree with the idea that if my supply is fine overall, the feeds will even out... however, DS went one week without gaining ANY weight, and then another week gaining less than 4 ounces, and that was WITH some supplementation, so I know that I need to continue working to increase my supply (especially in the evenings, I think).
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :