Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I increase my evening supply?

Question How can I increase my evening supply?

I think I have finally gotten close to being able to EBF. (We are still doing weekly weight checks as DS isn't gaining like doc wants, but his diaper output is decent.) I have plenty of milk at night (from about 10:30 p.m. on), so I always get up once in the night to pump (I am pumping right now in fact, and it's 2 a.m.). For the past week, pumping at night has given me enough milk to supplement in the evenings (around 7 p.m. until bedtime). But I ALWAYS seem to be too low on milk in the evenings... if I could only get my supply up to what it is during the morning and early afternoon, I think I would have enough milk to no longer need to supplement in the evenings!

My question is:

Is there any way to increase supply for a specific targeted time of day, like in the evenings?

Thank you!

PS - posting this in both increasing milk & pumping forums.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: How can I increase my evening supply?

Being low in the evenings is common. One way I would combat that was to power pump for my evening pump. 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off for an hour. It will tell your body to make more at that time of day as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you... but I'm not sure how to power pump in the evenings when DS wants to nurse so much? He already becomes frustrated at the breast in the evenings due to the low supply... will I get more "bang for my buck" by letting him nurse nonstop in the evenings (which is what I've been doing), or by power pumping?

Thanks again!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

You will definitely get a better response from nursing than pumping.

What times are you pumping/feeding in the evening? When your LO is getting frustrated with feedings, what type of environment are you in? Maybe changing the environment (i.e from say a normal routine of a rocking chair to laying in bed or the bath) might help as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

My LO nurses almost non-stop from the moment I get home....I think they reconnect rather than seeking more milk for nourishment...and KUDOS to you for pumping in the middle of the night!! I did that too and thought I'd never survive it!

Thanks again for the responses. My DS gets frustrated with the supply in the evening regardless of the environment...whether it's on the couch, in bed, or in the tub... So I am pretty sure it's my flow that he's frustrated with. I understand that 2 - 3 month olds tend to get fussy in the evenings, but I also know that he's not gaining quite as much as he ought to be (he went 1 week without gaining ANYTHING, and this last week he only gained 4 ounces, which I suspect is due to the supplementation). The other problem is that because he lacks the calories he needs during the daytime, the nighttime feeds are getting pretty exhausting. I am staying home with him for a while, so I don't mind waking up frequently to feed him... but 4 or 5 times during the night is getting tough, and I am hoping to get him on less of a nocturnal schedule EVENTUALLY. Open to suggestions!
    :

My older daughter had a few several week periods where she didn't again any weight and I've always had oversupply.

Are you cosleeping? Are you able to nurse laying down? I can see that getting up to feed him on top of pumping would be a pain.

One thing I'm confused about - if you are pumping to increase your supply, shouldn't you NOT give that milk to him? That way he is also stimulating you for his entire needs and you're creating extra? I'm not really sure how that works. I'm wondering if part of the reason he's getting fussy in the evening is that he's developing a bottle preference?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks, Tracie. It's so comforting to read about other healthy BF babies who went for periods of time without gaining weight... About supplementing... I am pumping to increase the demand on my breasts, but then I feed DS what I pump (& occasionally a little formula) via a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS), so my breasts continue to be stimulated while I'm supplementing him. At one point a few weeks back we did feed him bottles, which was a HUGE mistake because he did develop bottle preference, which was really tough to break. But now he's all about the boob and won't even take a pacifier from me anymore! (*I* am his pacifier.) I hope the pumping purpose makes sense now! So basically I almost have enough milk for him, but it's in the evenings that I have so little that I need to supplement him using the SNS, which is what I hope changes.
    :

Good luck! And babies don't always put their energy into weight, sometimes it goes into length, or head circumference.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie - that's the first I've heard of length/head circumference growth considered a "gain," which I was wondering about, because my LO is getting very long...he's always been in the 90th + percentile for height, but always 50 or below for weight. Thanks for sharing that! I'm going to try to read up on that more for peace of mind.
    :