Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weaning and TTC

Default Re: Weaning and TTC

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    i got mine back very early and was still nursing through the night (still am at 14 mos!) I really think that while how much you're nursing has a lot to do with it, everyone is just so different. I nursed 8-10x a day for a long long time, and still nurse 6-7 when i'm home (and pump weaned at 14 mos) and my period has been coming every 29 days to the hour since DS was about 4 mos (after a miscarriage before i even started bleeding).

Wow, can i use a few more ( )?

Yeah, everyone is so different! I got mine back with DS1 at 15 months but I was pumping and I had to purposely cut back a good bit. I think I might get mine back at about 17 months this time because I don't have it yet, but I have had CM so I'm thinking I'll get it in a couple weeks.

I'm just trying to get an idea IF nightweaning really would help her get it back so she doesn't feel she has to wean completely. I probably should have titled the thread "Nightweaning and TTC" to make myself a little more clear. I feel if I had more info that it worked for other women without completely weaning she would be convinced easily not to wean entirely.

I am also pretty sure that if she did decide to wean him and it was difficult for him she would probably reevaluate and readjust because she is very gentle as a parent and I don't think she would want to make it hard on him.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post

Yeah, everyone is so different! I got mine back with DS1 at 15 months but I was pumping and I had to purposely cut back a good bit. I think I might get mine back at about 17 months this time because I don't have it yet, but I have had CM so I'm thinking I'll get it in a couple weeks.

I'm just trying to get an idea IF nightweaning really would help her get it back so she doesn't feel she has to wean completely. I probably should have titled the thread "Nightweaning and TTC" to make myself a little more clear. I feel if I had more info that it worked for other women without completely weaning she would be convinced easily not to wean entirely.

I am also pretty sure that if she did decide to wean him and it was difficult for him she would probably reevaluate and readjust because she is very gentle as a parent and I don't think she would want to make it hard on him.
    hrmmm. I don't know. I got AF back before we even stopped cosleeping, and I'm still nursing him (this week at least) twice a night. Sometimes it's once and sometimes it's three times. From what i've read here, nightweaning generally does have an impact on fertility. And I've also read here about a good book for nightweaning gently - I think it's Dr. Jay Gordon. But I can't offer any opinion on that because i've not tried to go there yet.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Night weaning worked for me! I also wanted my children two years apart. I night-weaned and also got our nursing sessions down to every four hours. I am not sure if just the night-weaning would have done it, but I have a feeling it would have. At any rate, I had two periods and conceived the third month...my girls were exactly two years and two days apart

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I nightweaned once to get pregnant again. Could NOT before that..I tried and tried to get pregnant after baby #1 (I had an insane idea of having them 18 months apart -- crazy!!). So I nightweaned when #1 was around a year and got pregnant not long after that.

When #2 was STTN, kind of on his own, aroudn a year, I was able to get pregnant within 6 months of that happening.

#3 was still doing some nigh tnursing, but I seem to think he was spacing his daytimes out kind of far and I got pregnant with #4.

In all of this, I've had like maybe 5 periods

I do not think the pump will hold me. I have a lot of almost CM looking stuff lately. I'm about that.

So...IMHO and IME, you don't have to totally wean to see if you can get pregnant again. That's a place to start, kwim, and if it's not enough, then you keep working on it slowly to cut back. But I do kind of think that the nursling will help you decide when it's a good time for that kid to be a big sib. I honestly regret nightweaning my first. I wish there had been more time for him to be the baby.

I do also know a mom who weaned her baby -- at 3 -- because she wanted to get pregnant again, and never could You never know what's going to happen.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Nothing is certain and everyone is different ... BUT, I do think that cutting back on nursing can bring back fertility in many women who haven't gotten it back already.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

anytime you regularly go 5 hours without physically nursing your lo, your fertility can return.
    With ds1, I was working full time and pumping during the day. He was still nursing at night. My fertlitly returned at 5 months. I was able to conceive the first month we tried at when ds1 was 17 months. in other words, we did not night wean, but we regularly went 5 hours without me physically nursing my ds1.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

hrmmm. I don't know. I got AF back before we even stopped cosleeping, and I'm still nursing him (this week at least) twice a night. Sometimes it's once and sometimes it's three times. From what i've read here, nightweaning generally does have an impact on fertility. And I've also read here about a good book for nightweaning gently - I think it's Dr. Jay Gordon. But I can't offer any opinion on that because i've not tried to go there yet.
    I actually already sent her a link for his plan. I'm about to undertake that same plan in a month or two but not to TTC but because I will be away from DS2 for 6 weeks in the summer so I have to prepare him.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I actually already sent her a link for his plan. I'm about to undertake that same plan in a month or two but not to TTC but because I will be away from DS2 for 6 weeks in the summer so I have to prepare him.
    Beth