Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning and TTC

Default Weaning and TTC

Not me , I'm asking for a friend. My good friend has an 11 month old who is nursing, they cosleep and he nurses a few times at night. She really wants to TTC soon because she wants to have her children 2 years apart. She went to a LLL meeting with me this week and borrowed a book on weaning. I think she thinks she will have to wean entirely, but I told her she probably could try nightweaning first. So, I'm wondering, how many you LLLadies got your periods back when you nightweaned or baby started STTN and how many didn't?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Weaning and TTC

I remember a mom at a La Leche League meeting who weaned her 16 month old in order to conceive. Unfortunately she never did conceive again and she regretted weaning her baby for another that never materialized.
    each baby is unique and each mother has only one chance to be the mom to that child on the time/space continuum.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I never night-weaned, but I pump weaned at 11-12 months, and got AF back at 15. However, 15 months turns out to be the average to get AF back, even for moms who continue to nurse on demand. So I would ask her how urgent it is - can she wait a few months? Because she's likely to get her fertility back soon in any event.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I was all - I didn't think Beth was crazy, why would she want to do that?
    so instead I find out you have a crazy friend. To answer the question you asked, we are not nightweaned and I have had my period back for many months (before a year I think - but everything is blurry since I had two under two).

To go OT and to do something I probably shouldn't - why the heck does she care so much about an age gap that she would take nursing away from her baby. It is bad enough that they loose their baby time with Momma and Daddy, but to *deliberately* take away nursing over something that (and she may have great reasons but on the surface) is as downright stupid as a predetermined idea of what baby spacing should be... well that sucks. I am ok with weaning at a year if it is no longer working for you in some fundamental way, but because when you you were 12 you decided babies should be 2 years apart

Sorry for the rant but I did not want this age gap for my kids, I know what DS and DD have both missed out on because they are so close, I know the first times that I have no clue about because I was in pregnancy haze, I know how difficult every.single.day is. And of course, I have massive regrets about DS and bfing (I would say guilt but I will get shouted at)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Personally, I think two years apart is CLOSE. But I'm shooting for like, SIX years apart?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think I'm fertile now and DD still nurses throughout the night. I think it was around 18 mos PP that I started ovulating.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I don't fault her at all for wanting to TTC and planning her kids 2 years apart. I actually cut down on pumping for Lance so I could get my period back and TTC, knowing that I would stop entirely soon after getting pregnant. This friend really wants to do what's best for her DS and wean him gently. I've just been trying to convince her that she doesn't have to wean entirely to do that, and I think she's open to the idea. I think she just doesn't know a lot about weaning and didn't have a good idea how it would happen.

Her DS is a really easy baby, so I can see why 2 years seems like a good idea to her.

ETA: For the record I really wanted my kids 2 years apart too. I actually think it's a good gap even though it's hard. It also will hopefully keep DH from being out of the work force longer than necessary. My friend is someone who really thinks about every decision and I'm sure she has good reasons. The fact that they will be moving overseas within the next year or two might be a factor.
    Last edited by @llli*Samiha; March 12th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My son was consistently sleeping through the night by 5 mos. I got my period back soon after, had two, then got pregnant pretty soon after the second one when he was about 8 mos old.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    And of course, I have massive regrets about DS and bfing (I would say guilt but I will get shouted at)
    I won't shout at you at all. I had guilt, as well as very irrational feelings of resentment towards my (then) fetus. Of course, I love her like whoa now
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    ETA: For the record I really wanted my kids 2 years apart too. I actually think it's a good gap even though it's hard. It also will hopefully keep DH from being out of the work force longer than necessary. My friend is someone who really thinks about every decision and I'm sure she has good reasons. The fact that they will be moving overseas within the next year or two might be a factor.
    Absolutely no judgement: You're just a BRAVER woman than I! I need to get this kid out of my bed first!

You can call me JoMo!

i got mine back very early and was still nursing through the night (still am at 14 mos!) I really think that while how much you're nursing has a lot to do with it, everyone is just so different. I nursed 8-10x a day for a long long time, and still nurse 6-7 when i'm home (and pump weaned at 14 mos) and my period has been coming every 29 days to the hour since DS was about 4 mos (after a miscarriage before i even started bleeding).

Wow, can i use a few more ( )?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it