Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at Work

Default Pumping at Work

My baby is 10wks old and breastfeeds very well, no problems with actual nursing. I just returned to work part-time, though (12hour night shifts 2 nights a week) and pump every 3-4 hours. The first few times I got about 4oz from each breast at each session. Yesterday and today, though, I'm having a harder time getting anything. I pumped for 30minutes earlier, got 4oz from the right breast, and, maybe, 1oz from the left. What's going on? Any advise?

I tried bringing a onesie & looking at pictures....

Default Re: Pumping at Work

hats off for making the decision to pump at work and continue with bf'ing! you're doing a wonderful job, mama. and congrats on the 4oz, that is actually a good pumping output!

most women do NOT respond to pumping the same way they respond while nursing. meaning, baby usually gets more during a nursing session than you will get during a pumping session.

here is a link with more information about what to expect in terms of pumping output:

also, there is an entire subforum on the boards that is dedicated to pumping. here is the link: http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

Excellent advice/links from PP. I will also add that it is normal for pump output to decrease throughout the day/night, with evenings being the lowest and mornings the highest. I'm assuming you are using a good double electric pump?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Landof2toddlers, Oregon

4oz is a lot. Really. I was happy if I got 2oz from one side. Basically you baby needs 1 - 1.5oz per hour you are away. As long as you have that at the end of the day you are doing just fine.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

i work and pump nights as well.
    things to think about: how much is LO nursing when you are home? when dd is in a growth spurt she nurses like a maniac and my pumping output drops for a couple days
    make sure you are eating and drinkig enough at work, which can be tough to do some nights
    great job mama!
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces