Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preventing Thrush??

Default Preventing Thrush??

hey all! My LO, Ainsley, is 19 weeks and has her first ear infection. I took her to the ped today because her eyes have been "goopy" for 4 days and BM had not cleared it up. Turns out it is an ear infection on top of conjunctivitis. We have not had any thrush problems yet, but I did have a lot of trouble with my second child after he was started on antibiotics for ear infections.

Now that she is on antibiotics, is there anything I can do to prevent thrush? If I eat yogurt, will she get the benefit of it?? I debated about whether to even use the antibiotics but I know my ped very well and he only uses antibiotics when he feels they are absolutely necessary(he said the ear was so bad it looked like the ear drum might burst!)

Any suggestions?!?
    Stacy

Smile Re: Preventing Thrush??

take acidophulous (sp?)
    I did when I had to go on anti biotics.

My LO has thrush now... unrelated to the round of antibiotics and I taking acidophulous and grapeseed extract

Default Re: Preventing Thrush??

Quote Originally Posted by stacym View Post
    hey all! My LO, Ainsley, is 19 weeks and has her first ear infection. I took her to the ped today because her eyes have been "goopy" for 4 days and BM had not cleared it up. Turns out it is an ear infection on top of conjunctivitis. We have not had any thrush problems yet, but I did have a lot of trouble with my second child after he was started on antibiotics for ear infections.

Now that she is on antibiotics, is there anything I can do to prevent thrush? If I eat yogurt, will she get the benefit of it?? I debated about whether to even use the antibiotics but I know my ped very well and he only uses antibiotics when he feels they are absolutely necessary(he said the ear was so bad it looked like the ear drum might burst!)

Any suggestions?!?
    Stacy
    Is she breastfed? If so, eat a lot of yogurt and buy a probiotic formula for yourself as well. Activa yogurt is AWESOME for this. Also, Health Food Stores sell infant probiotic formulas that you can put right on her tongue..they're very safe and effective! If she uses any bottles, make sure you wash them out well after use and the same with manual handheld pumps..try soaking in vinegar. Add some vinegar to the wash when you wash your bras or handwash them in vinegar.

I was curious about this as well, so I did some research and this is what I found:

Prevention

Eat yogurt every day. The acidophilus in yogurt is a healthy bacterium that helps restore natural balance in your digestive system and can keep yeast in check. You can also give your infant one teaspoon of liquid acidophilus twice daily.
    Keep your nipples clean and dry. Prevent dry, cracked skin, which can harbor yeast and bacteria and lead to thrush or even mastitis.
    Keep yourself yeast-free during pregnancy. Your newborn can become infected while passing through the birth canal.
    Keep yourself and your baby healthy. Avoid antibiotics, which can kill off healthy bacteria, too, causing Candida to grow unchecked.
    Ensure proper positioning while nursing to avoid trauma to the nipple.

I found this information at http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/5...astfeeding.htm. I had thrush with my ds, and I want to make sure that I don't have it with my other children. I hope this helps .
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

If you find yourself fighting this....Thrush is a monster all in itself. I have been fighting it for 8 weeks and am proud to say that today is the first day that my LO's mouth is completely cleared. It took many things, and be diligent...

Wash all toys in VERY hot water daily (if you boil them you'll have to thrown them away, esp. plastic..lol) vinegar and water rinse...toys that can not be submerged, clean with bleach, vinegar, etc...

Wash laundered items that touch your breast, your LO's mouth, drool, etc. in very hot water

Rinse after nursing with Grapefruit Seed Extract and water mixture (not grape seed) Swap LO's mouth with it as well

Primodopholus for LO's mouth. Mixed with drops of water to make a paste, (my LO loved this)

and I resorted to taking Diflucan myself, I think this was what sealed the deal along with cutting all sugar out of my diet, this includes fruit, wheat, chocolate, etc. (Very hard, but worth it)

Good luck to you!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet