Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does my 6 mo old need Fluoride and Iron???

Default Does my 6 mo old need Fluoride and Iron???

My ped wants my 6 mo old to take a mulitvitamin with fluoride and start her on solids fortifided w/ iron. As far as the fluoride is concerned she doesn't even have teeth! She is still exclusively breastfed b/c she is not yet sitting up on her own. She was 8 weeks premature. Does she really need fluoride and iron supplements?

Default Re: Does my 6 mo old need Fluoride and Iron???

I would get a blood test done to check iron levels before supplementing. As for flouride *we* don't do it but I think it's a personal decision really. I read the other day that the government is actually turning down the levels of flouride in water because it's too much but who knows where that will go.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

with the pp on iron - i just started adding iron rich foods in to my baby's diets early.
    there is no fluoride in the water in Oregon, so we usually supplement since they aren't getting it anywhere (not in the water, toothpaste or topic treatments). The reason they just started suggesting less in the water is because now (unlike when they put out the first levels) people are getting it from a lot a different sources. I would not supplement if there was fluoride in the water.

Fluoride can bring out some pretty strong opinions around here
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Yeah it's in our water and DS1 gets it in his toothpaste I believe.

We offer iron rich foods early too, the only supp. my 1yo gets is vit D

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MeganBeth View Post
    I would get a blood test done to check iron levels before supplementing. As for flouride *we* don't do it but I think it's a personal decision really. I read the other day that the government is actually turning down the levels of flouride in water because it's too much but who knows where that will go.
    I work for a public water company and we fluoridate our water, and were recently mandated by EPA to lower levels by 1/2. Reason being is that higher levels can lead to fluorosis, a staining of the teeth in young children. It can also lead to lower bone density in older people. We have already lowered the levels, so that's where that's going.

I personally have a well with undetectable fluoride levels and give DS 25% of the dose recommended by my pediatrician.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

If they have tested your LO and know that she is low on iron, then I would start to look at ways to supplement, through food first, then vitamins.

We have never given a fluoride supplement, and since he has had teeth only brushed with a fluoride toothpaste every once in a while, and only when he was fully aware of how NOT to swallow.
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; March 12th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

We have never done either. Kids are 3.5, 5 & 16. None of them have ever had a cavity or any other deficiencies for that matter.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esmall View Post
    As far as the fluoride is concerned she doesn't even have teeth!
    Fluoride can actually help with the formation of enamel on teeth before they erupt. So there is no reason to wait until after you see the teeth to give it. We do not have fluoride in our water, so our pediatrician and dentist have both recommended supplementing. As pp have mentioned, you do need to be careful not to give too much. So if you start using a fluoride toothpaste, stop the supplement.

I have never given an iron supplement to either DS or DD, and our ped has not recommended it. If you are still taking a daily prenatal vitamin, your LO is likely getting enough iron from you. I personally wouldn't give iron without a blood test first.