Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergy meds compatible w bf?

Default Allergy meds compatible w bf?

Helllo!

I've been having major allergy/sinus troubles recently. I was wondering if you llladies might have any recommendations for meds or other treatments that are nursing friendly?

One thing: I can't use a netti pot or any other form of nasal irrigation -- they give me nosebleeds.

I and my sinuses thank you in advance!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Allergy meds compatible w bf?

Are you currently taking anything for allergies/sinus issues? If you can tell us what you are taking, someone might be able to look it up in Hale's book for you. But otherwise, I'm fairly certain that most OTC allergy meds are bfing safe as far as the amount of meds that pass through your milk, just be careful because some sinus medications can cause a negative impact on your milk supply. For me, I can't take anything "drying" such as sudafed or even the nasal sprays such as afrin because they reduce my milk supply.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Benadryl and sudephedrine can decrease your supply. There are others tho motsure if they're effect.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

I'm not currently taking anything, other than the occasional acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain, and the very occasional phenylephrine. We currently have Zyrtec (cetirizine), Benedryl (diphenhydramine), and Alavert (loratadine) in the medicine cupboard. Any of those okay (I hope I hope)?

I really prefer not to take anything if I don't have to, but the sinus pressure is causing toothaches so bad I can barely chew (yes, I'm sure it's sinus pressure, my dentist confirmed no dental problems!). So yeah. Ow.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

I take claritin, and occasionally sudafed (pseudoephedrine) and benydryl when I'm really miserable, and I've never noticed any adverse affect on my supply (but this varies from mother to mother). Claritin is one where they haven't done any studies, but honestly, I almost can't function without it - most days I don't need it, but when I need it, I need it, you know? So I take it. I'm not a doctor, but for me, I feel like the benefits of breastfeeding with the occasional claritin must outweigh whatever small risk there is from taking one or two a week.

If you can't do a neti pot, what about steam?

How old is your baby? Do you have a well-established supply? (If so, I think the risk of taking pseudoephedrine is lower, although I would recommend you try it with caution.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

DS just hit 7 months this week. Supply has never been an issue, unless you count an overabundance of it.

Steam helps, but usually the effect is very short lived. Stubborn sinuses.

Claritin... isn't that loratadine?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*froggylogic View Post
    DS just hit 7 months this week. Supply has never been an issue, unless you count an overabundance of it.

Steam helps, but usually the effect is very short lived. Stubborn sinuses.

Claritin... isn't that loratadine?
    Exactly. I forgot the real name, but that's it. I think if your supply is good, you can try pseudoephedrine. If you notice a major drop in supply, it might not be for you. But it won't hurt your baby, and at 7 months, you can give your baby solids, etc., to tide him over if there is a slight decrease. I had oversupply in the beginning, and I've never noticed a decrease.

ETA: Full disclosure, I understand (and there are other mamas here who are more of an expert on drug use than me) benedryl and pseudoephedrine have been studied on BF'ing mothers. There may be a decrease in supply, but not very much gets into your breastmilk. Loratadine is unstudied, so that's more of an unknown. I do take it occasionally, because breastfeeding my baby for almost two years while NOT taking it would have been too hard. I tried to avoid it at first, but nothing works as well for me.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; March 11th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hm, okay, thanks. Has Zyrtec been studied at all, does anyone know?

I've taken Allegra-D while BFing, when I was desperate, because none of the others work for me. I looked it up, and I felt, for me, the risk was worth the benefits -- a happy mom who wasn't sick. My doc and ped both said the Allegra (no D) was OK, but I need the D. However, decongestants don't interfere with my supply.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was taking Claratin and was told that it is safe, but it wasn't working for me. I got some Allegra from my doctor and I was just over my LLL leaders house yesterday and looked in Hale's book and it said it was an L2 and basically safe. I hate allergies though, the area where I live in California seems to make me sick year round.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine