Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frustrated:(

Default Frustrated:(

Ok, so I posted before re my low milk supply in spite of taking fenugreek, oatmeal & mothers milk tea. Baby is now 3 wks old. I had to supplement with formula at day 4 when no wet diapers were present and baby had poor latch and orange uric crystals in diaper So I started pumping, I use a medela lactina. I only get an oz or two at most every 3-4 hrs.
    My baby is latching on better (more hits than misses) so since yesterday evening I decided to only give him my breast. He did ok at night but gave him a 3 oz bottle of formula at midnight b/c he refused the breast and cried and cried and cried. After that bout he was fine with my breast and nursed him at 3 am and every hr thereafter. He basically breastfed side lying until 9 am.
    He gave me a break at that time to eat and take supplements, then at 10 am he woke up and was latched on to me non stop. He sucked and sucked for 2 hrs and at noon cried and cried again. So I gave him a 2oz bottle of formula.
    He slept 1 hr while I cleaned up a bit and spent some time with DD who is 2 hrs old.
    At 1 pm he latched on 20-30 min each breast until 3 pm. I had a late lunch that Dh picked up, took supplements and at 4 pm baby was back on breast every half hour until 10 pm. I finally gave him 2 oz of formula b/c my nipples are raw and he hadnt had a wet diaper since 7 pm.
    I am tired, stinky b/c I didn't even take a shower today and discouraged.
    I am finally eating dinner at midnight!
    I'm wondering if I should only pump and taking reglan to increase my milk supply since I go back to work in 2 wks.
    What other options do I have?

Default Re: Frustrated:(

Lots of babies go through a big growth spurt at 3 weeks. When my LO was 3 weeks I remember sitting in bed all day with my boobs out. Hang in there!

Have you tried combining blessed thistle with the fenugreek? My LC advised I do this when I told her the fenugreek wasn't working for me and it really seemed to help. Make sure to drink plenty of water also. I know that can be hard when you always have your LO attached to you, but it really does make a huge difference!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahandjack View Post
    Lots of babies go through a big growth spurt at 3 weeks. When my LO was 3 weeks I remember sitting in bed all day with my boobs out. Hang in there!

Good luck!
    . I didn't have a problem with supply and around 3 weeks this was a pretty good description of my day as well. I had many days where I did not have time to shower or get myself real meals without help from dh. In the evenings especially!

I'm not saying you don't have low supply, I don't know. But when you say you can only pump about an oz is that on top of full time bfing? Because that would be in the realm of normal. mama, as your baby's latch improves your supply should get better, especially if you minimize supplementing.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahandjack View Post

Have you tried combining blessed thistle with the fenugreek? My LC advised I do this when I told her the fenugreek wasn't working for me and it really seemed to help. Make sure to drink plenty of water also. I know that can be hard when you always have your LO attached to you, but it really does make a huge difference!

Good luck!
    I know that the mothers milk tea has both fenugreek and blessed thistle. What concentration of blessed thistle do you take?
    Also, I believe I am drinking enough water. I keep a count of bottles I drink a day. I average 4-5 16 oz bottles, not including oatmeal (I like mine very watery to drink easily) and 2 glasses of milk a day with meals.

Here is a good site to read up about your supply:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply

Also about galactagogues:
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

I had been taking the fenugreek and blessed thistle 4 times a day, 3 capsules.

Also keep in mind that it can be normal for your baby to always be nursing during the first few weeks or so. I struggled until just recently to establish a good nursing relationship with DS. As a matter of fact, he is 10.5 weeks old and there are still times I do not think everything is "normal". You will find plenty of moms on here who have gone through similar situations. Keep your chin up! Everything will work out.

Red face Re: Frustrated:(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    . I didn't have a problem with supply and around 3 weeks this was a pretty good description of my day as well. I had many days where I did not have time to shower or get myself real meals without help from dh. In the evenings especially!

I'm not saying you don't have low supply, I don't know. But when you say you can only pump about an oz is that on top of full time bfing? Because that would be in the realm of normal. mama, as your baby's latch improves your supply should get better, especially if you minimize supplementing.
    Well, yes and no to full time bfing... If baby was unable to latch on I would get about 2 oz if he wAs able to latch on almost an oz.

Btw last night was better, he had enough wet diapers and only one 2 oz bottle.
    I hope that today it is better than yesterday.

You've been given some good advice, mama. Newborns just nurse A LOT - as frustrating and nerve racking as that may be. keep in mind that what you yield while pumping does not reflect what LO is getting. I know it's hard, but hang in there. You're doing a great job!!