Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to do BLS- questions

Default Want to do BLS- questions

My baby is just six months, has two tiny teeth, and is showing some signs of readiness for solids. I have a couple question (and so does the MIL!) that I hope you more experienced moms can help with. I don't really feel DD needs to start solids for any real reason right now, though DH and I think the idea of it is kind of fun.

1) I've been casually offering banana and pear for the last couple of weeks to see what she would do with it (since those are the fruits I tend to eat and they are very soft naturally.) I think she managed to get a bite of banana down the other day! Yesterday, I steamed some apples for dinner and let her try a slice. I don't know if I didn't steam it soft enough or what, because she bit off a little chunk, but didn't do anything with it. She didn't chew, swallow, spit it out, nothing. It just sat in her mouth while we nervously watched her until I reached in there and fished it out. Could this be a sign she's not really ready? DH said we should probably offer her tiny pieces so she doesn't choke, so I think I need to school him on BLS a little more.

2) The MIL is wondering about the tongue-thrust reflex. She thinks this is the same motion babies use to nurse and wonders if they really do lose it before they should start solids? She also says my FIL never lost his reflex (according to the dentist), and that this may imply something about losing the reflex truly being related to readiness for solids. Any thoughts?

3) MIL also wants DD to have rice cereal because it "gets their systems ready" to accept other solids. Hmmm... She and DH don't seem to mind that it's just empty calories (though DH will go along with what I want to do, so I'm not too worried about him sneaking babe some Malt O Meal on the side). I'm not sure what to tell her.

4) Am I doomed to eat bland, mushy food at every meal until DD gets the hang of solids? Maybe I'm just confused about what to offer. I want her to have table foods, not purees and cereal, but our table foods are so complex (at the very least, I put onion and garlic in EVERYTHING) that I worry about her getting something she shouldn't have yet. Does that make sense?

I'd appreciate any advice from the "been there, done that" crowd. BTW, MIL was a LLL lady back in her day, breastfed her boys for a year, and is very supportive. But times change, and I'm not sure how to respectfully explain what we are doing without making it seem like I'm judging her. Thanks a million!

Default Re: Want to do BLS- questions

The nice thing about baby led solids is that you OFFER appropriate foods to baby and then baby decides what and how much to eat. If baby isn't ready she will explore foods and maybe even put some into her mouth, but may not swallow much.

The best way to see if baby is eating is to check diapers. Sounds gross - but early on most foods come through in poops VERY recognizable.

Rice cereal - no need! It's often suggested because it's fortified with iron but INSTEAD you can offer baby iron rich foods.

With both our LO we offered foods that were soft and baby could mush and pick up (sweet potato, winter squashes) or cut foods into a "french fry" shape so baby has a "handle" to pick up the food. I'd steam a bunch of things and have them in the fridge ready to pull out and give to baby. My personal test whether a food was soft enough for baby starting solids was if I could eat it using just my tongue and the roof of my mouth without chewing with my teeth.

My strategy for introducing foods one at a time was to build up ingredients to start being able to cook foods that everyone could eat.

I also changed my cooking approach a bit so I could pull out cooked veggies, meat, etc and then add seasonings at the end. That way I could make foods for the kids at the same time as making the "grown up" foods. Basically the kids get a "deconstructed" version of what we're eating. I still often do this cooking meals that include my 4.5 and 1.5 yo. I'd be cautious with super spicy foods, but there is no need to give baby only "bland" foods! Baby has already been exposed in utero and through breastmilk to the things you're eating. I do like super spicy foods, so now add extra "kick" to just my serving instead of cooking the whole meal spicy.

Check out the link in my siggie for links to more info.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with pp about deconstructed meals. We've started eating much healthier once I've realized I should go ahead and take parts of our meals and save them aside and then add all the more complex ingredients. Also realized if there is nothing LO can eat in our meal..maybe its not so healthy!! Lastly, just wanted to add that its a great idea to have lots of fruits and avocados around in various states of ripening. Its not hard when I'm making our meal to go ahead and cut up some pear or mango or avocado (sprinked with cheerio dust) just for her to enjoy. And also to remember to leave a few days between introducing new foods to watch for any reactions.

www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Is it really necessary to do that though? Gill Rapley's book seems to suggest that if the meal is decently healthy, a baby can eat it. This makes sense when I think of all the women around the world who feed all sorts of interesting things to their babies.

Just curious. REALLY excited about BLS! Two more months though.

Lynn nailed it as usual

We don't offer bland foods except in the very beginning. Rice cereal is useless and can cause constipation, if they want to give cereal you could do steel cut oats thinned with breast milk.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Is it really necessary to do that though? Gill Rapley's book seems to suggest that if the meal is decently healthy, a baby can eat it. This makes sense when I think of all the women around the world who feed all sorts of interesting things to their babies.

Just curious. REALLY excited about BLS! Two more months though.
    This depends on your personal philosophy about starting solids with ONE food at a time and waiting before introducing another to see if baby has any reactions.

Most of the starting solids materials I've read still recommend at least STARTING with one food at a time.

And I personally DO think this is compatible with baby led solids. With both our LO we waited at least 3 or 4 days between adding a new food. Once baby has eaten a food and is okay with it you can definitely start combining those together as "ingredients" and very quickly will have baby eating exactly like everyone else at the table. I was strategic about introducing foods in a way that would get me to being able to cook for everyone.

So - baby has eaten butternut squash & rice & chicken broth & olive oil = I can make a simple risotto for everyone. Or baby has eaten rice & beans (or lentils) = tons of dishes that you can make. Or you can make a stew or soup using veggies and meats the baby has eaten. Lots and lots of creative ideas.

Hopefully your baby will NOT have any reactions to foods, but if he does then it is REALLY nice to know exactly what caused the reaction because there was only ONE new food on his plate.

And a little PSA about food allergies - most materials you read about baby and food allergies are wrong. A family history of food allergies isn't all that relevant. A family history of ANY allergy (seasonal, pollen, dust mites, animals, etc) IS very relevant because the TENDENCY to be allergic is inherited but NOT the specific allergy. Yeah - we found this out the hard way.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks to the posters for the info. If nothing else, I'm at least making sure to have a fruit or veggie with every meal. DD gnawed on broccoli last night and seemed to love it (mama's favorite, too)- but today it came out undigested in her poop. Does that mean her body isn't ready to handle it yet?

And does anyone know about the tongue thrust thing? I'd never heard that before, but MIL seemed to think it was important for nursing.

Also, DH is curious why egg yolks are okay, but whites are a no-no. Does anyone know?

Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    Thanks to the posters for the info. If nothing else, I'm at least making sure to have a fruit or veggie with every meal. DD gnawed on broccoli last night and seemed to love it (mama's favorite, too)- but today it came out undigested in her poop. Does that mean her body isn't ready to handle it yet?

And does anyone know about the tongue thrust thing? I'd never heard that before, but MIL seemed to think it was important for nursing.

Also, DH is curious why egg yolks are okay, but whites are a no-no. Does anyone know?
    Check those two links I just posted to see if you can find the answers to your questions.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.