Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is My Nursing Over???

Default Is My Nursing Over???

This morning, as I write this, I find my self tearing up.

I started to let my 10mo LO sleep through the night. He was up every 3 hours nursing, but during the day, he would go a 6hr stretch w/out wanting to nurse, so I thought "Let's switch that!" It seemed great. My son addapted well, he would nurse more often in the day, less often at night. Then my milk supply started to get lower.

I could tell his nursing sessions were getting shorter and shorter. I didn't let easily, and then when I checked his weight, he lost 3oz.
    I've been taking fenugreek, I am pumping to stimulate, and I'm putting him on the breast through the night, and day now. This morning he fed at 3:30, but at 6am he couldn't even get a let down. That has never happened to me. I did start my period two days ago, and I knew it was b/c he was sleeping during the night longer. I'm burning through my milk storage.

Please Please, any help, any suggestions. I'm desprate. I do not want to stop feeding my son breast milk. (FYI I'm on fenugreek)

Default Re: Is My Nursing Over???

How much fenugreek are you taking? Has your supply been low before you started your period? What is his solids intake like?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

A 10 month old losing 3oz is NOT always cause for alarm. What is his diaper output like?
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; March 11th, 2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: NOT

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    How much fenugreek are you taking? Has your supply been low before you started your period? What is his solids intake like?
    Fenugreek is 4pills 3x a day. (I smell great lol) He's eating solids 3x a day, but not in huge amounts. I make his baby food, or grind up some of what we are eating, and I don't know the amount.

My supply had to be low before my period, b/c Tues I was told about the 3oz loss of weight. The Today was the 1st morning w/out a let down. Yesterday and the day before it seemed to down down more and more. Wed was the first day of my period.

I got my period once before and there was no difference in my supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    A 10 month old losing 3oz is NOT always cause for alarm. What is his diaper output like?
    Less! Still wetting diapers, but not a full. I'm supplementing with my storage, but it's almost gone. I don't want to use formula!

Ok. But what is less?? It IS actually pretty normal for your supply to be hit while on your period. If you are on day three you are almost in the clear. IN a 24hour period as long as you are getting 6-8 wets you are fine. And REMEMBER that's not Wake up to bed time. It's Midnight to Midnight. Or 9am to 9am.
    And besides taking Fenegreek or Mother's Milk, all you can do when your supply takes a dip because of your period is Nurse Nurse Nurse through it. But a 3-5 day dip WILL NOT ruin your relationship. You just keep at it.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Ok. But what is less?? It IS actually pretty normal for your supply to be hit while on your period. If you are on day three you are almost in the clear. IN a 24hour period as long as you are getting 6-8 wets you are fine. And REMEMBER that's not Wake up to bed time. It's Midnight to Midnight. Or 9am to 9am.
    And besides taking Fenegreek or Mother's Milk, all you can do when your supply takes a dip because of your period is Nurse Nurse Nurse through it. But a 3-5 day dip WILL NOT ruin your relationship. You just keep at it.
    Thank you! Thank you for your support, and advice. I'm just afraid that letting him sleep during the night, and going so long w/out nursing has affected the supply. The weight loss happened before my period hit, so do you think it's a combo of less milk due to the sleeping longer, and NOW even less b/c of my period? I'm pumping when I'm not nursing, and plan on committing the next few days to doing just that! I'm hoping things perk up. He's def hungry after a nursing session, I give him 2/3oz of stored milk, and he happily finishes it. He has never done that before. He is peeing, but not filling a diaper. So, when for a wet diaper, do you mean fluid, even a little? Or more of a "filled" diaper?

has he been sick even a mild illness can affect weight gain.
    keep nurseing nurse as often as he is willing if you remove more milk your going to make more milk.

It doesn't have to be a soaking we diaper. You just don't want it to smell or show other signs of dehydration. It's perfectly normal for a 10 month old to be sleeping through the night so I don't see that causing a huge problem. And 3oz, I can lose that going to the bathroom. Try to not freak.

I bet you'll see an increase when your period is gone. It's a hormonal shift when Aunt Flo is here but we all tend to bounce back. So even you weren't technically bleeding yet, the drop could still be due to your period. I know you said it didn't happen before but sometimes it takes a few months for our body to find it's new rhythm.

Offer high fat solids like full fat milk, yogurt, cheese, avocado etc etc. Sprinkle some olive oil on his veggies for extra calories if you're worried about the weight.

You're not losing your milk, your body is just dealing with the new situation of STTN and AF. You guys will find your groove again.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thank you ladies! I'm going to add the fats to his food, to keep his weight up. He's a skinny little guy, so I don't want to see more weight off of him.

I've been putting him on the boob so much, he's getting playful. lol Since I've been suplementing, he's not hungry, but I though "Let him nurse, he'll stimulate my milk." lol Not so much, he wanted to blow bubbles, and play. I'll stick to pumping between feeds, and wait out AF!

Hearing your thoughts and suggestions has helped me a lot. I'm so proud of us EBF'ing mamas!!!