Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2-month old suddenly has latching problems

Default 2-month old suddenly has latching problems

Hi! My DS is 2 months old, exclusively breastfeeding, has 5 - 8 diaper changes in a day (sometimes with yellow stools but there has been green stools appearing lately). He's probably 11 lbs now.

When he was a newborn, his mouth were so small that he could barely accommodate my nipples that I had blood blisters in the first week. To feed, he slurped my nipples in without opening his mouth wide (or so it seems to me). He looked like he was sucking from a straw. I never saw the full chipmunk cheeks and there were depressions on the sides of his mouth. Eventually, after 2 weeks, breastfeeding was easy for us.

But now, he's at it again. He slurps my nipple in (it really looks like he's drinking from a straw), makes clicking sounds as he gulps and he fusses a lot! BUT he takes in most of the areola. I realized lately too that I have an abundant milk supply which sprays on his face when my milk comes in but after reading this forum, I got some tips, applied them and we got better. This is just one problem I can't solve.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: 2-month old suddenly has latching problems

Is he not opening his mouth before taking your nipple, but trying to get it in with a mostly closed mouth? DD used to do this- it contributed to some serious damage. Do you let him latch himself, or are you more in control, perhaps with a hand behind his neck, guiding him (like in a cross-cradle hold)? If you are helping to guide make sure you don't let him have the nipple until his mouth is open. If he is latching himself, maybe try helping a little more so you can control the timing. Tickle his lip or cheek with your nipple and wait for him to open up big before guiding him to the breast. Make sure you are thinking "babe to boob," not "boob to babe."

Even though he is taking in the areola, not just nipple-feeding, you'll definitely want to take care of this before teeth make an appearance. That's probably a long way off. I remember the thought of sharp little teeth s.c.r.a.p.i.n.g. across my nipple being a very potent motivator to fix this problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*xyzmom View Post
    But now, he's at it again. He slurps my nipple in (it really looks like he's drinking from a straw), makes clicking sounds as he gulps and he fusses a lot! BUT he takes in most of the areola. I realized lately too that I have an abundant milk supply which sprays on his face when my milk comes in but after reading this forum, I got some tips, applied them and we got better. This is just one problem I can't solve.
    This sounds like OALD/oversupply to me. He has adjusted his latch to slow your flow down. The green stools also say oversupply to me. I would try block feeding for a bit. So nursing on one side until that breast is "empty". Don't feel compelled to switch sides or watch a clock. Listen to your body and the baby. Check out this site. My son is 6 months old and I still only nurse one side a feeding.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    Is he not opening his mouth before taking your nipple, but trying to get it in with a mostly closed mouth? DD used to do this- it contributed to some serious damage. Do you let him latch himself, or are you more in control, perhaps with a hand behind his neck, guiding him (like in a cross-cradle hold)? If you are helping to guide make sure you don't let him have the nipple until his mouth is open. If he is latching himself, maybe try helping a little more so you can control the timing. Tickle his lip or cheek with your nipple and wait for him to open up big before guiding him to the breast. Make sure you are thinking "babe to boob," not "boob to babe."

Even though he is taking in the areola, not just nipple-feeding, you'll definitely want to take care of this before teeth make an appearance. That's probably a long way off. I remember the thought of sharp little teeth s.c.r.a.p.i.n.g. across my nipple being a very potent motivator to fix this problem. Good luck.
    Yeah, you're right. It's more like "boob to babe". But when I tried the "babe to boob", there were improvements, clicking lessened and he opened his mouth more. It's just not always. And the thought of teeth and nipples just makes me cringe ... will consult our LC this weekend about this.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the advices and links!