Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to group, looking for advice

Default new to group, looking for advice

im currently ebf my 11 wk old daughter. i've had clogged ducts and mastits for the past 4-5 weeks. i was put on antibiotics and it got better (didnt go away) for a few days, then got worse again. ive been doing everything i've been told. nursing like crazy, pumping, heat and cold compresses, massaging...nothing is helping. it seems to get worse, it hurts so bad, and it's the entire HALF of my breast. it feels like a large lemon from nipple to top of my breast, bright red and hot and solid as a rock. i havent had fever or illness though. its on the inside of my breast, but i have pain up into my armpit. is there something im doing wrong?? or something ELSE i can do?? im getting so frustrated and just want to sit and cry. im getting ready to return to work and i'm afraid it's going to get worse!

Default Re: new to group, looking for advice

Have you massaged and squeezed it while in a hot shower?

Way too lazy for formula

yes...ive even taken my breast pump into the shower!

And on the side that looks and feels like a lemon, you are getting milk out and it still feels that way or you pump and it takes a while to fill back up?
    And where are you with the antibiotics? Did you stop taking them?

Way too lazy for formula

i pump til it stops coming out and it stays the same, even with her nursing constantly on that side it doesnt help. last night i nursed her on that side only and still full when i got up this morning. my antibiotics are gone...took them for 10 days like i was supposed to, and that helped...but a few days later it was back.

Well Clogged ducts and Mastitus aren't the same. If you still have the Mastitis, you need more antibiotics. If it's actually just a clogged duct nothing but nursing and actively MASSAGING, and trying to push the clog OUT is your best bet. And the more often you do it in a a hot shower, the better.

Way too lazy for formula

Have you had a culture done on your milk to make sure the antibiotics are the right ones for the bacteria that are infecting your breast? When is the last time your doctor looked at this? From your description it definitely sounds infected, not just like a plugged duct. If it hasn't gotten better after the antibiotics and everything else you've done, go back to the doctor to have it checked out again. You want to make sure it isn't an abscess. I'm sad to say I've been there. I had to have mine surgically drained and by the time I saw the surgeon, he said it was very close to bursting open on its own. I let "just a plugged duct" go for a couple weeks before I saw anyone and started on antibiotics. You don't want to risk this, trust me.

I love Dr's and I love medicine, but nothing is better than an experienced, well trained LC! That's who you need to follow up with after your Dr. My LC can look at my nipple and tell me how my son laches, that's the kind of help you need. (in addition to your Dr)

Is there a LLL Group near you? Do you have a LC you can see?

with PPs.

(1) I would be spending a ton of time in a HOT BATH, massaging the living daylights out of that sore area. If it hurts, you're doing it right! Sorry. It's not fun.

(2) If, after a couple days, that is not helping, I would definitely have the docs culture the milk to figure out if it's an antibiotic resistant bacteria. I haven't had this, but sadly, I've seen several mamas on this forum struggling with this. And if that's the case, often another antibiotic will do the trick right away.

(3) Meanwhile, use an antibacterial ointment on your nipples between nursing. It couldn't hurt, it might help. Polysporin is the recommended kind.

Hang in there! You can beat this!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

actually my town has not ONE LC...they tell you to call the LPN at the health dept/WIC office, but she's not a certified LC. i actually talked to her yesterday and she advised me to go to the ER since it's getting worse and my arm pit is starting to hurt, but i'm trying to hold off until monday when my daughter has a dr appt, i'll have him check me at the same time. there's no LLL real close. on tuesdays a LLL grp meets in a town 30 minutes from me, but i havent been able to go due to work and my "home duties" wish there was a group (LLL or just BF moms and an LC) here in my town