Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: huge supply drop

Default huge supply drop

. About a couple of weeks ago I started sensing a supply drop. This became even more evident as my stash of empty bottles keeps growing. I had always been using one days bottle the next day and sometimes even storing over the bottles’ marked oz because I did not have enough bottles to store the breast milk. I had always been using frozen breast milk from about a month back but now its down to two weeks back. I have started to add pumping sessions as much as I could (including in the morning and at night) but I get very little milk out of them. What should I do? (I am not on Birth Control or taking any medication or not even stress)

I have only been spending the afternoon and night with him (but Monday and Wednesday nights I am away at school from 5:30-11pm) and breastfeed him when we are together. He does not seem fussy. His diaper output seems to be the same. I am not sure if it is related or not but he has not had what I consider a “normal bowl movement” (cottage cheese looking yellow seedy) for the past month. He only has what I can describe as thick diarrhea and struggles to get it out ( and only when he is standing or on the walker). Is this something to worry about?

Baby just turned six months yesterday. Around 5 months he started showing the signs of being ready for solids (sits on his own, tounge no longer white, holds head, grasps) and I gave him baby cereal like three times (in about 2 weeks & 2 weeks ago) but just because he was practically pulling on my plates/cups and reaching for my food. But he has not had any baby cereal in 2 weeks and I would like to start him now that he is six months. Would you recommend not to start solids until I get my milk supply up?

Thanks for the help

Default Re: huge supply drop

Could your pumping output have been affected by the introduction of solids? Is he sttn? Solids surely could be the cause for the change in diapers.

you can re-build your supply. you might want to try renting a hospital grade pump that is also portable . you may have to pump every 2-3 hours when you are apart from the baby. on the days you are not working or at school try spending some leisure time in bed with the baby. Lots of snuggling and unencumbered access to your breast can re-boot a milk supply. if your baby is showing signs of readiness for solids, have him fed by the care giver when you are at work/school. Let him eat mashed bananas or mashed sweet potatoes. then when he is ready, feed him mashed up meats. Cereals are better digested when he is closer to his first birthday.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Make sure you are drinking enough water. Oatmeal helps me with my supply too. There are lots of herbs and such you can take to help your supply also. Here is a link to Dr. Sears that I really like.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t022800.asp
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissawoods View Post
    Could your pumping output have been affected by the introduction of solids? Is he sttn? Solids surely could be the cause for the change in diapers.
    I only gave him baby cereal like three times. He doesn't sttn.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    you can re-build your supply. you might want to try renting a hospital grade pump that is also portable . you may have to pump every 2-3 hours when you are apart from the baby. on the days you are not working or at school try spending some leisure time in bed with the baby. Lots of snuggling and unencumbered access to your breast can re-boot a milk supply. if your baby is showing signs of readiness for solids, have him fed by the care giver when you are at work/school. Let him eat mashed bananas or mashed sweet potatoes. then when he is ready, feed him mashed up meats. Cereals are better digested when he is closer to his first birthday.
    I have been using a Ameda Purely Yours Ultra since a little before two week after labor (had to go back to school). I think it is a hospital grade pump but I am not sure.

This is my answer for every supply problem (b/c it happened to me) - you may want to check a pregnancy test.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    This is my answer for every supply problem (b/c it happened to me) - you may want to check a pregnancy test.
    Yup -good question. Lots and lots and lots of water and a good helping of oatmeal everyday might help otherwise. And more milk plus, fenugreek and a few other herbs.

As for solids. I would probably hold off a little longer until you have worked out what is going on with your supply. And then you might want to look into baby led solids (lots of fun to be had there and it doesn't effect poo unless there is an intolerance)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.