Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much should he nurse?

Default how much should he nurse?

Once solids are started, and are increased.... how much should my LO acutally nurse over time? I intend to nurse until a year for sure(as long as he still wants to!), but what should I be expecting once he is getting more calories from solids? FYI, he is EBF, I am pumping at work as I work full-time and my mother keeps him and gives him whatever I ask.

Default Re: how much should he nurse?

How old is he?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

This is just personal opinion, but I like to think of solids as being supplemental to breastmilk, meaning the same amount of breastmilk, and add whatever solids the baby wants on top of that. I don't think there is any solid food that ounce for ounce supplies as much nutrition as breastmilk, so I wouldn't want my babies giving up any breastmilk for something that would give them LESS nutrition.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I agree with the pp. My ds is 11 months and really doesn't eat much other than breast milk. They don't need the solids. You shouldn't give enough to effect how much he nurses. My ds is nursing 8 to 10 times a day!
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!

My DS is 6mo today. Thanks for the replies! I have been of the same mind, but I am new to BF so I am not always sure. He has been having some issues with bowel movements, and I believe the solids to be the culprit. Now I have to convince my DH of this (he likes to feed him, since he cant normally). We started solids at 5mo, earlier than I would have thought, but he would grab at our food and its just pitiful if we are eating and he doesnt have something as well. He is a BIG baby(not fat, healthy) and just seemed ready.
    Last edited by @llli*5ofus; March 11th, 2011 at 04:45 AM.

I understand the poop change! I miss my breast milk only diapers! They were not near as stinky!!!
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!

It sounds as though he IS ready for solids, and I don't think there is anything wrong with letting him sample - I just wouldn't shorten or substitute any of your nursing sessions.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

kccmama.. lo, yes, I miss those too!! Although, I don't miss the up the back, crazy diapers!! lol, its hard to get out breastmilk poo stains!!

jeno, I have asked my mom to make sure she is giving him ebm first, then solids.. and no more oatmeal

This is all such a learning experience! lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    This is just personal opinion, but I like to think of solids as being supplemental to breastmilk, meaning the same amount of breastmilk, and add whatever solids the baby wants on top of that. I don't think there is any solid food that ounce for ounce supplies as much nutrition as breastmilk, so I wouldn't want my babies giving up any breastmilk for something that would give them LESS nutrition.
    Agreed here. Lu is 23mos at some days it's more breastmilk than solids then the reverse on other days. At 6mos, solids are more experimental for them too. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice and have a plan in place. EBM first, then solids.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!