Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP! BABY NOT GAINING WEIGHT

Default PLEASE HELP! BABY NOT GAINING WEIGHT

HI I NEED YOUR INPUT

At my Dd's 4 month check up she she weighed 13lb 7 oz and then 3 weeks exactley she weighed 13lbs 14 oz and thats when I notcied she gained only 7 ounces in 3 weeks.
    So to check her weight I weighed a week later and she lost weight 13lbs 11 oz leaving her to gain only 4 oz in a month.

She weighed 6lbs 2oz at birth and gained great weight all the way until her 4 month. We have been struggling.

I started taking Fenugreek and eatin oatmeal and pumping. I feel my supply is going up.

Last week at last weigh in I started to supplement with my stored BM. I gave her 3 bottles of 3 oz a day and then BF.

So I weighed her today and she 13lbs 14.5 oz so she did gain weight a little.

I am still very concerned about her. What can I do ? Should I continue to supplement with BM? Or should I get formula?

She is 1 week shy of being 6 months now. No solids yet. I want to keep BF . I wanted to BF until she no longer needed me.

Please help me!

Thank You,
    remybon

ds 9-21-01
    ds 5-12-04
    dd 9-22-10

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! BABY NOT GAINING WEIGHT

What are her diapers like? Are you still getting enough wet and poop diapers? If you feel it's a supply issue then pumping after each feeding is a great way to get started on that. I don't have any experience with Fenugreek or other milk stimulants but have heard they do help. Check out the Increasing your Milk portion of the forum. You might find some helpful tips there.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Has she been weighed on the same scale each time? It makes a big difference. Scales can be off from each other by large amounts.

with the pp that wet and poop diapers are the best way to tell that enough is going in.

How is your baby with her milestones. My babies are early crawlers and walkers so they tend to hit the plateau a little earlier than the breastfed baby curve. They just use so much energy getting around. Our pediatricians are fine with slow weight gain, and I have just had to learn to live with what seems like very slow growth to me.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I can see how you wouldn't want to risk wasting the liquid gold that is breast milk, but have you considered offering your baby the breast first and THEN supplementing?

Another thing about scales: if you're really trying to be accurate, you definitely want to use the same scale, as mentioned above. Further, I also try to make sure I'm replicating the weighing conditions as much as possible. For us, that means weight taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach wearing a clean diaper, onesie, and socks.