Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP Biting at almost 9 months

Default PLEASE HELP Biting at almost 9 months

I posted about my nearly 9month old not nursing very much. Well I have new problem now. He is now biting. HARD. He bit when he first got teeth, but I didn't react and just ended the session. The problem soon went away when I was calm and consistent. Now he doesn't want to nurse even after hours of not and he is biting everytime right as he latches on. He did have a drop off in wet diapers, so I pumped and gave him a bottle of breastmilk. He chewed on the nipple, but eventually took it.

He did nurse to sleep tonight, but bit down hard at the end, I couldn't unlatch his jaws and he scraped his teeth while pulling off. It really hurt.

It's all I can do to keep putting my breast back in there. I don't know how much more I can take of this. I don't want to pump and give him bottles but I am unable to keep getting bitten like this. I will go to exclusive pumping if I have to but the breast is far easier!

He does not have a cold and has all 8 teeth in the front. He does poke at where his molars will be with his fingers but that is not new behavior. He is not pulling at his ears and does not seem to be in pain. (But I am!)

HELP!!
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Default Re: PLEASE HELP Biting at almost 9 months

Ouch!

Can you feel your letdown? Do you think he is impatient waiting for the flow of milk to start? You could try manually stimulating your letdown with pump or hand expression and then latching him on so he gets instant milk.

Was this his first bottle? Any other changes lately? Has your period returned? Do you think you have a decent milk supply?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Joe went through a really hard biting phase when he first got teeth. Then he did it again ... a lot ... when he had an ear infection. I think it messed with his latch because his ears hurt when he latched correctly? So it could be just a behavioral thing, and you have to train him out of biting, ASAP, or ... I'm wondering if it could be something else. Sore throat or sore ears?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He is also pushing away and trying to get down when he bites. He doesn't show any signs at all of being sick, no fever, very happy kid. It's like he doesn't want to nurse anymore. He's had bottles in the past, but very rarely. I don't have my period. I assume my supply is good, I have never had a problem with it. My letdown is a bit delayed, probably takes a minutes or so but it never bothered him before.

Had some success last night at 2am and again this morning at 6:30. I think he would just rather not nurse during the day but he needs his milk??? What's a mama to do?
    Last edited by @llli*ryansmomy; March 12th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin