Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: APNO precautions/successes??

Default APNO precautions/successes??

I have been battling thrush for almost 2 months and I have recently reqested my OB to call in the script for all purpose nipple ointment. (I have not yet gotten it.) I went to the dermatologist today for an unrelated issue and asked about the thrush & apno. She said that I should use it very sparingly and for only a few days because of the betamethasone (I also see that Dr. Jack Newman states "Apparently pharmacists have said that the steroid in the ointment will cause “thinning” of the skin. This is a concern with any steroid one puts on the skin, but in our experience this has not occurred with our ointment and many mothers have used it for months.").
    I just wondered if anyone has used this with success or has had any issues? I'm nervous now that I'm using too much to treat this, but want to get over the thrush, desperately!!

Default Re: APNO precautions/successes??

I've never had any problems with APNO like that. I use it quite a lot because it's the only thing that seems to help with chronic nipple soreness that I cant resolve related to EPing. I suppose it's possible, but it seems like it might take months to years. IME, using APNO for thrush, which is a couple weeks, won't have any effect like what that derm is talking about.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used it for 7 weeks straight for sore nipples (didn't have thrush though) and I had no issues whatsoever. I think the ointment actually kept me from getting thrush, as I had open wounds on my nipples and could have easily come down with an infection.

I can't comment on how effective it is at actually treating thrush. I know you have to treat both yourself and your baby at the same time.

What kind of treatments have you already tried?

I've heard of grapeseed extract treatment (http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html) and gentian violet (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083100.asp) as home remedies.

Otherwise you would be stuck with prescription medications.

I definitely don't think the APNO will hurt, and if it's not helping after a few weeks, I would try something else anyway - thrush HURTS!

APNO was a dream for me with DS2! Used it on sore nipples, for 2 or 3 weeks, with no problems whatsoever.

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

I used APNO for cracked and sore nipples during the first month of BF while we worked on latching. I also used again when he came down with thrush as a precaution. I had no issues at all, but mine didn't list betamethasone in the compounding ingredients. The main thing my pharmacist recommended was to use sparingly and gradually decrease it's use when I no longer had pain.

I used for mine for the better part of a year and I never had problems. It was a lifesaver for me.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*fefe View Post
    I used it for 7 weeks straight for sore nipples (didn't have thrush though) and I had no issues whatsoever. I think the ointment actually kept me from getting thrush, as I had open wounds on my nipples and could have easily come down with an infection.

I can't comment on how effective it is at actually treating thrush. I know you have to treat both yourself and your baby at the same time.

What kind of treatments have you already tried?

I've heard of grapeseed extract treatment (http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html) and gentian violet (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083100.asp) as home remedies.

Otherwise you would be stuck with prescription medications.

I definitely don't think the APNO will hurt, and if it's not helping after a few weeks, I would try something else anyway - thrush HURTS!
    Thanks for all the input. Yes, thrush HURTS! I read from someone on another thread that they never cried so much as when they had thrush and I totally agree.
    Right now I'm on my second round of Diflucan (my first round was only two weeks and this time I'm taking a month). I'm taking GSE three times a day, Acidophilus twice a day, using an antifungal cream and a peroxide rinse twice a day. I have used the GSE topically as well as a vinegar rinse, both too intense and burned me. I also originally was taking lots of garlic, but it gave my son green poo. I'm trying to limit my sugar & carbs, but it's difficult for me. My OB called in the APNO and it's ridiculously expensive, but think it's worth it if it helps. I don't have much pain anymore, but need to keep going with the treatments to make sure to kick it this time. (I am finishing my second week of Diflucan tomorrow.) This feels like a roller coaster, but keeping my hopes up this time! Hopefully after 2 months, we can say bye to this junk forever!!