Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing while lying down

Default nursing while lying down

Is there a comfortable way to nurse while lying down? I have been half sittingup/ half lying down for ten weeks now, b/c that's how my baby sleeps best at night, and want to try sleeping totally horizontally. I can't find a comfortable way to do it. She can latch on if I put that arm up over my head, but that is so uncomfortable. Are there certain ways to do it? THanks

Default Re: nursing while lying down

this site helped me master side-lying http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm
    i find it even easier to nurse from the top breast while side-lying, and tilt baby back slightly. Good luck!

The pictures on that site worked for me too

If I needed to nurse from the other side I just leaned into the baby a little more (so bottom boob is under my body and top boob is lower to the bed for baby).

It takes practice but it is sooooo worth it!

What works for me is for baby's head to rest on my arm. That way I
    can easily move her closer, or up or down (she tends to kick her way higher and higher as she eats.) Then we conyinue sleeping cuddled up like this, which is nice, although can be hard on the arm.

An extra pillow by my head, so I could rest my top arm comfortably up there, made a world of difference for me. I also wedged pillows behind my back (a long body pillow was especially good) and put one between my knees.

It may take some trial and error, but if you can master comfortable side-lying nursing, it will make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of your rest. Well worth the effort!

--Rebecca

I still nurse 80% of the time in lying. DD lies across me of snuggles beside me and I lie on my back. It is on the lower half of that link....in the very early days she seems very heavy across my lungs but now at 17 months I am so used to it I can sleep right through it!