Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to start infant cereal?

Default when to start infant cereal?

Hi, I have a 13 week old who is 50/50 breastfed/formula fed. the last few days she's been taking twice as many bottles as usual. Is this a growth spurt? Is she saying she needs some cereal in her bottle? Should we just keep giving extra milk? We did try some cereal today, but she hates it. I guess that's good since I've read we need to wait....but she'll take a 4oz bottle and then ask for another one as soon as she's finished the first! And she's eating like this every couple of hours.

I have supply issues and am only pumping about 1/4-1/2 of what she needs each day as it is....I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep up with her if she is needing 8 4oz bottles instead of 3-5 (I'm a working mom so she takes breast and 8-10 oz pumped milk in addition to this).

Not only that, when when nurse, she is either very angry at my breast or she lays there and plays with the nipple. I can't seem to get her to focus on eating "boob." She does, however, focus for the bottle. Is that nipple preference? She only just stared this week with these behaviors- eating constantly and playing at the breast.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, btw- she's 13 weeks now and at 8 weeks was 25.25 in long and weighed 12.4 lbs. She's much bigger now and I'm confident she's gaining weight appropriately. There are also plenty of poops/pees.

She was 9 lb 7 oz and 23 in at birth.
    Last edited by @llli*jessepoppins; March 9th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Default Re: when to start infant cereal?

3 months is prime time for a growth spurt! And, unlike breastfed babies, who pretty much need the same amount as toddlers as they do as babies, formula fed babies will need increased amounts of formula as they grow. I do not think this means she wants cereal. Cereal is pretty much empty calories. There are some artificial vitamins mixed in, but otherwise, it is just starch. She would do much better with additional breastmilk or formula.
    Last edited by @llli*duckpond; March 9th, 2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    3 months is prime time for a growth spurt! And, unlike breastfed babies, who pretty much need the same amount as toddlers as they do as babies, formula fed babies will need increased amounts of formula as they grow. I do not think this means she wants cereal. Cereal is pretty much empty calories. There are some artificial vitamins mixed in, but otherwise, it is just starch. She would do much better with additional breastmilk or formula.
    Starting solids too early has been linked to obesity.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Cereal should not be put in a bottle unless directed by your pediatrician. She is too young. More milk/formula!!!
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

agree with Previous posts. and I glad you found la leche League to be the open and accepting place to bring your breastfeeding/infant nutrition questions to.
    human milk and human milk substitutes like formula are the only foods appropriate for a human being for the first six months of life.
    you might want to rent a hospital grade breast pump and use it to build your supply. You may find your baby will grow up healthier if you can transition to all breast milk even if she is not nursing directly from your breasts.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

To get my supply going I nursed more. I offered the breast every 1 1/2 hours during the day. Try offering both sides at each feeding too. It really helped. Also make sure you are getting rest and plenty of water. Oatmeal is also another way to help with supply. I don't know if you have thought about herbal supplements but you can take fenugreek to increase supply also. A few other things to take are dill, nettle, marshmallow, and blessed thistle. With those you need to take a combo of three.

I was never able to pump much. But once my milk got going I had plenty!

Good luck mama!!
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!

Thanks all!

I've been pumping after nursing and nursing on demand from the start. My supply hasn't increased despite my measures (pumping after feedings, every 3 hrs when I'm away at work, I even added a pump session in at 2 am so I'm now pumping around the clock even though my baby has slept through the night for 2 months, I take fenugreek, mother's milk tea, prenatals, iron, lots of water, 1-2 beers and I dunno why but it helps, and I'm on the tail end of Reglan prescription). I'm starting to think I just can't make more milk. I feel like I've tried everything and little one is still hungry.

she hates pacifiers/soothers so that doesn't work for us. We use slow flow playtex drop in nursers. At night, when I'm home I don't pump between feeds because she nurses 10 mins per side and falls asleep only to nurse again 20-30 mins later. btw- i work 10 hr days for 7 days then have 7 off.

Latch doesn't hurt. Gaining weight well. Lots of diapers. She is pooping ALL THE TIME though and that's recent-since she starting eating ALL THE TIME. Not sure if these are correlated but because of the constant diapers there is now a pretty nasty diaper rash. ugh.

thanks for all the info though! I will put away the cereal for a few months and just give extra milk when she needs it. I have a feeling she's beginnign to teethe and I know she has this diaper rash so I *think* the's trying to comfort nurse the bottle but it is always full so she takes in too much, hence all the other problems.

thanks again

Jesse
    Last edited by @llli*jessepoppins; March 11th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

NEVER!!! What a useless first food and has sadly been recommended as a first food for far too long! Finally the medical community is slowly inching away from this one.

Start off AFTER 6 months (when the lining of the intestines has matured) with veggies & fruits.

Read this first:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Here's a good chart (even though it, too, has cereal!)

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

All kinds of links on feeding here:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.